week in the life: thurs april 4

 


an in-office Thursday (which doesn’t happen every week), feelings, and short pants 

6:24 Wake with a start that I missed my 6:35 alarm. Decide to turn it and my backup alarms off, go and put my contacts in, and shower.

 

6:4?: LM comes into the bathroom and emotionally rants about state testing. All I can say is “I hear you, girlfriend” while I rinse my hair.

 

6:55: Moisturize, deodorize, take meds, scrunch the curls and hope for the best with air drying, put on the outfit I had in mind and regret how short the pants seem, remember jewelry AND the notes I had on my work from home desk. Head downstairs. 

 

7:05: Give LM and Bella their hellos. Pour my coffee and make my smoothie while it cools off. Consider the weather (it’s a rainy nor’easter and flooding is a possibility) and get myself moving faster. Tell the Mr. to give LM a fun extra for breakfast to ease her state testing anxiety. She squeals when he gives her a brownie with her eggs 

 

7:20: Start my car and head upstairs to do minimal makeup (eye shadow, eyebrows, and hope for the best!), brush my teeth, fluff the curls, and get back downstairs.

 

7:32: THERE’S A NEW EPISODE OF MAINTENANCE PHASE!! Jump into their Jamie Oliver deep dive instead of my usual Thursday commute with This is Joy & Claire.


 

7:40ish: Oof, so much rain. I wonder if people will drop out of the workshop. There must be flooding. 

 

8:05: Pull in to work and head straight down to the conference center.

 

8:12: Meet up with one of my co-facilitators in the room. Make a bet on how many people don’t show (our usual MO); her guess is we lose 2 and have 10, my guess is we lose 3 and have 9.

 

8:15: Check my technology, read my notes, get my energy right.

 

8:45: The other co-facilitator shows up (one of my amazing direct reports) and refuses to guess how many we’ll lose.

 

8:55 My SVP comes down when we open up the room and says hi to our attendees. (He’s done this for 10 years of us running these programs - never missed one!)

 

9:00: It’s showtime! We teach until 12 using an emotional intelligence framework to talk about communication styles and more effectively working with people with the same and different tendencies.

 

10:05: I accidentally get a gigantic coffee on break. Oh, and we had 3 not come so I won!

 

12:05: We made it! We carry the supplies back up to our storage room and my co-facilitators take off to work from home. Oof, these not required in-office work days are weird. I have calls at 1 and 2, so I stay to work (in an eerily empty office). I down an emotional support Reese’s!



12:45: Connect with my SVP about the 1pm.

 

1:00: Survive the 1pm meeting! Look down and accept these pants really are too short.


 

2:00: Survive the 2pm meeting!

 

3:30: Admit defeat, pack up, and head home.

 

4:10: Run in and hug LM before she heads to dance duo practice.

 

4:15: Oh no, I laid down. Bad move. Somehow, a book falls into my hands……..

 

5:00: Get up and change into my workout clothes. Run down before LM and the Mr. get back from dance #1.

 

5:15: Dinner! With another episode of Taskmaster. (Breakfast for dinner for me: eggs with sundried tomatoes and toast!)

 

6:15: The Mr. and LM head back out for competition Hip Hop class. I go downstairs and treadmill walk for 10 min and then do an Arms & Light Weights with Cody Rigsby.


 

7:00: Oh no, I laid down on the couch.

 

7:25: They get home! LM heads up to shower. 


7:30: Catch up with the Mr. 


7:35: LM comes back down and we discuss dance drama (the owner had to speak sharply to a bunch of them being rowdy before class - oh snap!) and we watch a Taskmaster. 


8:30: LM goes up to do the Wordle (she missed it but it was hard!!) and her Duo. The Mr. and I pause a CSI: Miami to download about our work days. 


9:15: I head up to do my Duo while LM brushes her teeth (and sneaks in to watch a lesson). 


9:30: Take out my lenses, put on my glasses, take my meds, and do my night skincare. Brush my teeth. 




9:42: CSI: Miami


10:50: Crash…



Oof, what a Thursday. My brain was a little shut down by the end - but it might be my awful lunch habits this week! This is what happens when I miss meal prep!



 

 

Comments

  1. I saw that new episode of Maintenance Phase yesterday and I immediately thought of you! I am going to listen to it today. Isn't it funny we were just saying it had been so long! They must have heard us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their dynamic together! I really liked the recent episode - the Mr. and I watched The Naked Chef late last year and went down some Jamie Oliver Google rabbit holes....

      Delete
  2. YISS NEW MAINTENANCE PHASE....BRB.

    Everytime you said "on no I laid down on the couch" I said "yay couch time!" It's been a busy week and the weekend is almost here! I'm waiting with baited breath to find out if weekends are any less busy than the week for you - I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure you saw how lazy my weekend was (oops). We are either way-too-busy (and leave the weekend exhausted) or way-too-lazy (and feel like we wasted the weekend)...

      Delete
  3. I love that feeling when there's a new podcast to listen to on the way to work!!!
    I'm always fascinated by people's workdays- so different from mine. I would imagine leading a workshop like that would be stressful, but fulfilling. Plus I'm sure the gigantic coffee helped : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emotional support Reese's. I feel that. My boss has a candy bowl in our reception area for students who come in our office, but I don't think she knows that I have an emotional support Payday most days. She's to blame because she keeps stocking it with good candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Paydays are the Mr.'s favorite candy bar! Slightly weird fact: We still have a Payday that I gave him 10+ years ago in our fridge here (moved from our fridge at our first house). Wow, we are both gross AND sentimental!

      Delete
  5. Hooray for a great workshop - that sounds fascinating! I need to look up some deets on that; it could be a good topic to share with my team in one of our team meetings.

    I'm also a big Maintenance Phase fan and I'm so glad they're back! The Jamie Oliver episode was a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?