insert deep breaths

 This whole week went wrong. Well, that’s a bit dramatic (but so am I, so…); this whole week was hard. Harder than it should have been. But it’s kind of my own fault. 


I had emotionally bolstered myself for Luke’s first business trip since Feb 2020: it was only 36 hours. We had food. I had the camp drop offs and pick ups blocked off. I would get my workouts and my reading and my rest when he got back. (At midnight) (because why not?)


<<insert roadwork on our street>>


<<insert work drama>>


<<insert unexpected night work on our street>>


<<remove Lil Momma sleeping, sigh>>


So, now I’m off my game and tired when my poor mom, who lives in an assisted living 35 minutes away, calls Tuesday night because they’re going to Walmart on Thursday and she doesn’t have any money. (She has money, just no cash readily available unless I bring it to her - she is fine!)


<<remove my workout window after work on Wednesday>>


<<remove my dreams of a family dinner that night welcoming Luke back>>


<<insert a mad dash to bring her cash>>


It was such a small bump in my week - but it set me off, sigh. This is why we never get family dinner. This is why I never get my time to workout. Nothing had changed since mom moved - I’m still running around all the time…


<<insert pity party>>


I forgot my biggest lesson of the last handful of years: life isn’t what happens when things aren’t happening; it’s the breaths between


Because, guess what?


Luke and Lil Momma went out for dinner on Wednesday night and had the best time (and brought me home garlic bread!)


I was able to visit with my mom and help talk her through remembering some stuff that was so much easier in person vs on our daily phone calls


I ended up having to do the 3 workouts from this new strength program I’m doing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - not ideal, but I got them done and I’m so proud I didn’t get up. 


And, tonight we had family dinner and played a game and had a birthday cake a few days late for Luke’s birthday. It was wonderful. 



Here’s to catching up when we can and to giving ourselves grace when we can’t! (and the hopes of responding to comments and everyone’s posts that have been giving me hope in this coming week!)

Comments

  1. This sounds so very stressful and frustrating. But I'm glad that you are able to take a step back, breathe, and find the good in the situation. Here's hoping this week goes a little more smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooof. This sounds so hard and exhausting. You're being pulled in so many different directions and that's...a lot. Hoping you get some rest and so glad you were able to find some pockets of joy amidst the tough moments. We have that exact version of the Sorry game at home! The retro version was my favourite board game when I was a kid <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry is one of our favorite weeknight games! It doesn't take too long AND there's enough chance that we all end up winning a game here and there.

      Delete
  3. NIGHT WORK on your street? Oooohhh.. I would have been mad. Sounds stressful- and I know, the parent drama adds a lot. It's hard when you're taking care of a kid and a parent. But it sounds like you managed to reframe a hard week. Nice job on getting those workouts in! Friday, Saturday and Sunday works just fine : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise night work! I will be so glad when this is over - they backed 4 large trucks down the street at 5am and the BEEP BEEP BEEP woke the whole household (including the dog, haha sigh). But, there are worse things!

      Delete
  4. I loved how you reframed the annoyance of running the cash to your mother as time with your mom. I think sometimes life tasks and obstacles are annoying, but we just have to throw our hands up and remember to really savor the moments of connection that we can have amidst it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true and so well said! I have to work at it with my mom after all the running around the past few years, but I know those little moments will be what I hold on to someday....

      Delete
  5. Life is a continuous string of adjustments and re-adjustments. Best to learn how to roll with it (which you did!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just brutal. Night roadwork with NO NOTICE? I would have been up in (figurative) arms. I am glad you were able to reframe - such a critical life skill (and one that I completely stink at, myself...). Sorry! is an awesome game. And garlic bread is just awesome in and of itself. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?