recent reads roundup

 The “recent” is probably not accurate in this case; it’s been a bit since my last reading roundup. But, here’s some thoughts from the last few months’ worth of books!


Marple: 12 New Mysteries 

3.5 ⭐️

When they worked, they worked. I really wanted to like these more than I did. Agatha Christie’s Jane Marple books were formative in my lifelong love of mysteries. I love the idea of 12 women authors putting their spin on Miss Marple as she ages, but it made me miss Christie’s specificity in places. These were written for the twist and I think that’s what let some of them down. 


The year of living Danishly: Uncovering the Secrets of the World’s Happiest Country

 by Helen Russell 

3⭐️

I liked the first half better than the second half… The conceit was so compelling (burnt out writer goes freelance in Denmark and explores what makes Danes so happy), but the execution got bogged down in balancing the memoir aspects with reporting on the reality of Danish life. I’m glad I read it, but it wasn’t the perspective-changing book I had hoped for. 


Wild Fire 

by Ann Cleeves 

4⭐️

As a whole, I loved the Shetland series. This concluding book may have ended a little too cleanly, but the messy mystery that led to the end had glimpses of what made the books work: island culture and drama; generational trauma; the difficulties of being a person and a parent; class mistrust; Jimmy Perez’s peculiar mix of stoicism and conjectures. I’ll miss him and his crew so much. 


The Book of Lost and Found 

by Lucy Foley 

3.5⭐️

I found Lucy Foley after she wrote a short story in the Marple collection I read recently. This didn’t fully grab me at first; I liked the voices of Kate and Tom and Alice, but the time jumps felt a little clunky and the stories too specifically woven together - it just didn’t breathe enough for me. But, parts did grab my heart - Corsica, the WW2 section - and I was into it enough to fly through it to the end. Tom at all ages was dashing. I’ll definitely try another of Foley’s books sometime. 


The Good House 

by Tananraive Dur

4⭐️

I read this as part of the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge for the prompt around a horror novel by a BIPOC author. I’m more of a spooky or mystery reader vs horror, but I really enjoyed this. A slow build with some gorgeous and visceral language, the house and its reach reached all 5 senses. The layers of voodoo and Black history gave it such depth. Once it got moving, I couldn’t put it down. 


Telling Tales 

by Ann Cleeves

4⭐️

I didn’t love the first Vera Stanhope book immediately enough to dive into the series, but this one for sure won me over. The small town gossip, weird families, lies, missed moments - the mystery kept me wondering and Vera’s investigation and conversations kept me flying through this. So glad to have another series to find my way through. 


The  Locked Room 

by Elly Griffiths

4⭐️

I was not prepared for a Ruth Galloway COVID novel and it shook me a bit at first. Too soon? But it really pulled off some of the eerieness of the early pandemic - the disbelief, the fear, the terrifying losses. Ruth and Nelson were so Ruth and Nelson. A bit too many stalking plot lines, but the mystery worked, as did the side stories (and of such weight). 


The Trails and Tribulations of Susie Chan by Susie Chan

4.25⭐️

Susie Chan is one of my favorite Peloton instructors and I enjoy her social media vibe immensely - what I didn’t expect was to enjoy her writing style as much as I did! What an authentic and deep and fun and hard set of stories that cross races and running and life and everything else. I couldn’t put it down!


One Last Stop 

by Casey McQuiston

3.5⭐️

I both really enjoyed this timey wimey love story and, at the same time, was a little frustrated by how everything was wrapped up so neatly and dreamily. I loved how messy August was and how organic her bisexuality and love for Jane was in her character - but, I wanted stakes high enough or loss or something to actually go wrong with consequences. 


People We Meet on Vacation 

by Emily Henry

3.5⭐️

This was not my favorite Emily Henry. I don’t know if it’s because the other books of hers I’ve read have reader or writer main characters? Or have the love interest more built out? I liked Poppy and Alex and I liked their vacation-fueled connection, but I felt like I didn’t know Alex as well and Poppy was more of a caricature vs a person. Still, a fun read to fly through. 


Death at the Sign of the Rook

by Kate Atkinson

3⭐️

I was the first person to take this book out of the library - first for me! I’m so torn on it… I quite enjoyed the prior Jackson Brodie books: his character, the coincidences that drive the plot, the exasperated side characters. But, this one was so hot or cold for me; the parts that worked, worked. However, other parts just went on and on and felt like filler and not fuel. Almost too clever for its own good, I guess. Still worth a read if you’re a fan!



Comments

  1. You got me interested in Ann Cleeves, and I read two of the Vera Stanhope books, including Telling Tales. I also really liked it. At some point I'm going back to read more of the series- I just have so many books to get through right now!
    I've been contemplating trying horror, so maybe I'll read The Good House. It sounds good. And, I've seen that Marple book, but passed it up because I just figured it would be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but can we talk about the gross sexual encounters on a NYC train in One Last Stop? Ew. I was so grossed out.

    I'm currently listening to the audiobook of The Reformatory by Tananarive Due and I want to know Due's secret sauce for creating such riveting books! (I'm also reading it because I needed a horror book by a BIPOC author - shouldn't we have other choices besides Due? I mean, she's great, but this is definitely a niche that Black authors might want to consider!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

to chop or not to chop?

friday rambles