five random catch-ups

One Lil Momma is having a better time at school. She finally got a locker last week! It is nice to hear her talk about having lunch with new friends and not coming home wrecked by aggressive kids in her class like last year. She isn’t as excited about this, but I’m happy to see homework and quizzes and all the things that give her the structure she needs get moving. 

Two We were also able to come to a compromise on her bedtime nutties. See, they started because she watched all 3 Annabelle horror movies with a friend Labor Day weekend (after never having seen anything scary in her whole life – like, she just watched Jaws this summer) (I have so many feeling about this but this isn’t the moment for them) and her solution to her very valid nighttime fears were to A. get herself so riled up at night so she wouldn’t fall asleep and B. to then try to sleep with her door open literally every light in her room on, so even the sleep she was getting wasn’t great. We were all so exhausted – it couldn’t go on much longer. I finally made a deal with her to keep her door open through Thanksgiving but to turn all the lights except for her salt lamp and clock night light off and, what do you know, she crashed and has slept so much better and so much longer ever since. Here’s hoping we continue on this better track as she accidentally goes into 10 weeks of 7-days-a-week activities…. Oops.


 Random plant I saw at CVS, haha!

Three I’m doing really well on my September Sixteen. Not perfect, but nothing ever is. I’m actually excited to do a wrap up next Monday!

Four Wildly, PT has been really interesting. My home exercises are a lot of toe yoga and arch lifts (where are so subtle, oof), but my 2 appointments a week are more focused on loosening up my calves, ankle strengthening and stability, and then learning to stand correctly on my feet (which sounds so simple, but is super tricky when you have arch issues!!). 

Five The work drama I’ve been dreading happened last week. Layoffs and organizational shifts seem to be a part of life more and more, but the lead up was pretty excruciating. I am grateful to have a job and that everyone on my team and in my area still do; however, I did have to “split” my team and see my boss and one of my direct reports go to another division. Lots of hard talks and big feelings, for sure, and now onto the real work of figuring out who I am (and why my little team is) in a new structure.

 

Glad to be back and with more sleep and less work fatigue! Can you believe September is almost over?  

Comments

  1. Wow, that's a lot to manage.
    My kids have never had nightmares, but I feel confident they would after watching horror movies. I would too (I hate, hate, hate horror movies and avoid them at all costs).
    I'm glad LM is getting more settled at school. It has been a tough year for our girl and she comes home unhappy and defeated every day which is so hard to watch...school and growing up are HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're taking me back to the Nightmare Era (which was a very happy era for the grown ups who weren't having nightmares). I forget the last time that a kid asked to come into bed with us after a bad dream, maybe when the youngest was 12?

    Boo work drama! I felt like the layoff situation had cooled down, but a bunch of companies just did a new round of cuts in the last month. Brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof. That is a lot of things, but it sounds like there is good progress for many of them? I was so terrified of horror movies as a child which was tricky since it seemed like there were always horror movies for sleepover parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh geez. The work stuff is so destablizing. I'm sorry that's been going and I hope everything calms down.

    Your poor kiddo (and you!). My kid gets too scared to sleep, too, and... it's a lot. She still falls asleep with her light on every night, and so I try to go in and turn it off while she's sleeping, but sometimes I forget or go to bed too early to do it. It's amusing to me that she has all sorts of night light type things -- glowing clock, nightlights, some of those star projector thingies -- but she only wants a Real Light. I'm glad you are having success with your new plan and I hope the scaries fade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, work drama like that is SO unsettling. But it seems like the unsettlingness (totally a word) will last even longer as the restructure happens? Oy vey.

    Gah, no wonder LM was having such a hard time sleeping after watching that movie! I'm glad you figured out what was causing the terrible sleep. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about the work drama, that must have been an unsettling week (but I am glad you still have a job!). And then the whole sleep issue with your daughter. Scary movies should be outlawed (I am sorry but what is even the point of them?).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

to chop or not to chop?

friday rambles