making soup rambles #1

 soup and tangents on a Monday

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas (or the quiet Sunday of their dreams if it’s not your jam). I’m hoping to do a cookie roundup / recipe reflection if another quiet moment hits this vacation week 

Lil’ Momma came down with a cold (so far, just a cold) Christmas night, so I’m making this ginger scallion chicken soup but with egg noodles as I don’t have time to make matzo balls. It seems so right for this cold day and will hopefully kick these germs so we can enact our plan of walking adventures later this week (both to keep me and Lil’ Momma out of Brian’s hair while he works and to kick off our year of outside adventures we hope to have)




I’m so simmer paranoid making soup. It probably comes from 15 plus years of watching Alton Brown’s Good Eats before bed with Brian*. The episode about what qualifies as a simmer vs a boil vs a nothing echoes in my head whenever I attempt this 

I’m starting Anthony Dower’s Cloud Cuckoo Land tonight. I’ve been dragging my feet since someone told me it starts super slow but to stick it out. This must be my version of being influenced - they’ve made it feel more like homework than a book I actively wanted to read and waited to show up at my local library, which isn’t fair to the book. Here’s to giving it a chance (and hopefully being won over in its early pages) (or remembering some things are worth sticking with 

Stay well and warm this week!

*Brian and I watched Good Eats almost every night since we moved in together in 2006 until AB started remaking former episodes in 2018 to show how he makes things now vs when the episodes were originally filmed. For a show that felt like comfort food to us (we recite lines and cooking facts from it almost daily), the changes bummed us out (it was like our Grandmother changing a family recipe!). But, it started a whole thing of finding new shows to watch which has been fun for a couple who are so different genre -wise 

Comments

  1. Oooh I have been balking at starting Cloud Cuckoo Land, too. In my case, it's because All the Light We Cannot See is one of my favorite novels of all time, and how can this one measure up???? Hope everyone is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it’s so hard when it carries the weight of a favorite! It’s up next for for me if I can find it in the holiday/school vacation mess (I thought dream boarding would be a good craft and now there’s stickers everywhere it seems…).

      Have the best New Year’s weekend!

      Delete
  2. A perfect simmer is so satisfying...but surprisingly elusive when making soups. Especially ones that have a thickening agent when boil becomes a disaster with burning on the bottom of the pot.
    I hope you have a truly wonderful remainder of this holiday season and that the cold is over before it really begins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes to you and yours this Christmas week and into the New Year!

      The cold was just a cold, thankfully (I keep joking the soup had something to do with it haha!). Some unexpected dental drama to contend with, but I’m still grateful for the together time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?