January 2023 Reads

Reviews from Quarantine 

This is a bit of a week as my little family has been taken down with COVID. Lil’ Momma was first over the weekend and I can feel it starting. Luckily, LM has a mild case and we can work from home, so cabin fever may be what sinks us (a privilege for sure). 

So, live from quarantine, here’s a look at what I read in January, stolen from my Goodreads since my brain is a little tired. It’s a shorter list than normal with the lack of sleep during this bumpy month for my girl, but definitely some winners!



Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I avoided reading it until 4 days before it was due (the storyline jumps, the size, the pressure), but I shouldn’t have. This is everything I love in a book; I missed characters when I wasn’t with them and loved how alive and wild it was. Life is convoluted and this is all over the place in all the best ways. 


The Janus Stone by Elly Griffiths 

⭐️⭐️⭐️

I missed Ruth in this one - but, that almost tracks for how pregnant women are treated. The mythology itself seemed less connected, but still a fun read with familiar folks bumping about. 


The Choice by Nora Roberts

⭐️⭐️⭐️

I love a trilogy with Ireland and magic, but I think this one has diminishing returns for me because I love the stranger-in-a-strange-land trope and once Breen was all in on the magic, it lost some of the magic for me.


Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt 

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I had no clue what this was about and almost stopped a bit in in case it was all quirk; I’m so glad I didn’t. The building interconnectedness was a bit expected, but I really enjoyed every bit of it. Marcellus, Tova, and Cameron were messy and bright voices in a lovely read. 


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you have COVID, but glad your cases seem mild. Hope you feel better soon and enjoy a bit of forced R&R!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much! It could be so much worse. The challenge will be keeping my girl occupied once she feels better enough to be bored haha!

      Delete
  2. I hope you all feel better soon! Good luck and I hope you can rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon!

    Cloud Cuckoo Land is such a smart book - I feel like I need to reread it to see all the clues and foreshadowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a bummer- but I'm glad you're not too sick. My husband had Covid a couple week ago but the rest of us never got it!
    i'm intrigued by Cloud Cuckoo Land and Remarkably Bright Creatures. Everyone who has read RBC has loved it.
    I hope LM is finding ways to keep occupied during quarantine- good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?