highs and moderate lows #4

the ups and downs of a week

high. Well, kind of a preview of a high. I’m taking my girl to see the musical Hamilton in Boston on Sunday night to kick off February vacation. She has been asking to see it for years and was so excited to receive tickets for Christmas. I still have reservations about certain parts, but I’m hoping the more grownup songs go right over her head… She’s been singing her favorite tracks nonstop and already has her “fit” ready to go - and is taking over mine as well haha! Her excitement is real and such a joy. 




moderate low. I felt so much better on Sunday and Monday that I attempted a Peloton hike on my of-a-certain-age treadmill (Bessie) to celebrate being “back in the game”, which was a huge mistake. I woke up Tuesday back in the COVID game with congestion and exhaustion; it lasted through Thursday (my voice kept disappearing mid-presentation, oof). Definitely a lesson learned and I’m going to ease back in with some walks and mobility work over the next couple of weeks instead. 


high. We have a babysitter on Saturday afternoon for the first time since Thanksgiving weekend (which we spent cleaning out my mom’s house before it was sold - not the most fun date night haha).  We literally have no clue what to do besides get dinner and talk (it’s going to be too cold for a walk outside, but we might go for a random drive and just car catch up), but I’m so happy to be putting energy back into us.


moderate low. I had to get a new camera for my work from home set up because my laptop one was ruining my neck. I thought I researched appropriately, but it arrived with this weird little tripod instead of the clamp I thought I could clip to my monitor. I’ve tried it balanced between a ring light and my monitor where I intended it to be (fell during a presentation), to the right in a coffee cup stacked on 2 coasters and a boxed Funko Pop of Chidi from The Good Place (it’s just too far over that I either can look at the camera and not my slides or the chat OR I can look at my slides and the chat but not in the camera), and with the whole Chidi setup in front of my monitor (nightmare angle). I know I’ll figure it out, but I get so annoyed when something that was supposed to be an easy fix just becomes so much work…


high. For weeks now, I was trying to remember the name of a song I used to listen to and love (it was on a mix cd I listened to in my car for years), but for the life of me I could only remember the name “James” and literally none of the lyrics or tune. Not ideal for Googling or asking for help, haha. Then, on Wednesday, my guy had a random music channel on the television (he believes our dog Bella needs music on during the day) and THE SONG CAME ON AS I WALKED INTO THE ROOM! My mind was blown and faith in the universe renewed. It was James Bay’s Hold Back the River, by the way! Who knew?


Happy Friday, all! Here’s to a happy and healthy weekend!

Comments

  1. I bet Bella loves the music!
    Hold Back the River is a great classic. It's very much of the era of music I was listening to when I met my husband and gives me warm fuzzies.
    I hope the Hamilton experience is amazing for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to listen to it over and over - I can't believe it slipped my mind! I love that it brought back some warm memories for you, too!!

      Delete
  2. Oooh I love that shirt! The Schulyer sisters are my favourite part of Hamilton.
    BE CAREFUL!!! Long Covid is associated with doing too much too soon so please please please ease slowly back into things!!! Please don't push it! Take care of yourself and I hope you have a good (and restful) weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have been so scared of Long COVID - I just don't think I realized how exhausting recovery was. I am back on team turtle (took a nice walk outside yesterday and that was enough) and not looking to ease back in to spin, strength, and hikes in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. I feel like there should be so many better options for work from home setups with so many more people working from home. Why is it so hard?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my hopes up too high for a quick solution! I’m sure I’ll figure it out or, sigh, ask for help haha!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Hamilton! I feel like we were the last people on earth to realize it existed, but once we did we listen to it all the time and sing along. I took my kids to see it last September when they were 10 and 5 ... some parts I just don't explain and they don't ask about...
    Sometimes when my parents are in town, they'll insist that the Husband and I go on a date night. And often we are kind of bewildered on how to spend it. There was one time when we just went to Wendy's and bought Frostys and sat in the parking lot. Sad or sweet? I can't decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, I feel so seen! Team sweet as we have done the Frosty and fries car date, as well! I think we are just in one of those seasons of life where “dates” are less about exciting adventures or fanciness (not that we were ever fancy haha!) and more about grabbing time to connect and talk and just remember we are people who chose each other outside of the day to day of work and family life.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, Covid. What a really strange disease. How is it possible that some people barely feel it (I was reading a blog recently where she had Covid so decided to just cut the distance on some of her runs that week- WHAT? When I had Covid I couldn't run at all!) I hope you're feeling better now, and that you have a fun date night! When my husband and I go out on a "date" we just go out to dinner. I don't even know what else we would do.
    I'm probably the only person who has never seen Hamilton or listened to the music. I know, I'm totally out of it. I hope it's an amazing experience for you girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually just do dinner, too! But my daughter gets so mad when we come home a couple of hours later because she loves hanging with her babysitter and wants the babysitter to do bedtime (first world problems, I know haha). Once the weather gets nicer, we were thinking of riding bikes and then getting dinner or taking a baking class together?

      Delete
  6. So sorry about your Covid stuff! Do you have long Covid, or did you have it recently? I hope you get better soon! Good plan with the walks and mobility. I need to up my game with more mobility work too. I do something for my ankles, and rotator cuffs, but tend to forget about my hip flexors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think it’s Long COVID (gosh, I hope not); but, I was trying too hard to get back to “normal” and set myself back in my recovery. I have one of those Oura rings and my sleep / readiness scores are a bit dismal. I’m really hoping taking a down week and just sleeping and stretching will help me get back in the game. Hip flexors get me, too - I sit way too much for work and really need to focus on them more (*adds it to the list* haha)!

      Delete
  7. I hope you are feeling much better and that you had a wonderful weekend! This post is also such a good reminder to me that I need to go on a real date with my husband. It's been awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so worth it! We were trying for monthly, but missed January - but any dates are better than none for us haha!

      Delete
  8. Ugh, I am sorry about the set back - it's hard to know sometimes when you're fit to exercise again without just giving it a try. I hope you feel better. How was Hamilton? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?