Lindsay gently confronts her comfort zone #1

aka it’s time to get back into the game

It’s a strange thing to have an injury where you feel like a different person before and after, but that’s kind of where I’m at.


(as a note, this isn’t about weight or body composition, just about movement and exercise!)


To recap my relationship with exercise:


Age 0-33 = non-existent. I was the kid who got signed out of gym for the majority of school by begging her doctor for a note, stood in the softball field writing poems in her head, and considered being a non-exerciser a personality trait (“I don’t exercise, I see movies and read books and do plays and write poems - diametrically opposed activities!” Growing up in the ‘80s and 90s was a different time, haha sigh…)


Age 33-43 = I went through a big life moment when I quit my side gig teaching college courses at night and randomly joined a 3x a week women’s boot camp class at a Muy Thai gym. It literally changed my life and made me feel like so much more of a complete person. I mean, I was awful at doing the exercises for years (tipped over during lunges, IT band and foot issues, could barely lift a barbell), but the confidence and mental strength it gave me, along with being physically stronger and seeing what dedication can do, made a huge difference in the person I am. And, it gave me a friend group of slightly older than me women who really changed how I look at this next chunk of life. 


Age 43-now = at the beginning of the pandemic, boot camp became Zoom camp. When doing a kettlebell press while in a lunge in my basement, I partially tore my rotator cuff (but kept working out for a few weeks). Immediately after, from a really horrible work from home setup and too much doomscrolling, I pinched my radial nerve and started having massive problems from my neck down to my hand (on the same side I had the rotator cuff thing) and in my traps. 18 months of PT, every neck and back device you can find online, and lots of bad habits later…


…here I am, 45 and a non-exerciser again. Except this time, I’m terrified of getting back at it because I could reinjure myself.  


However, in the spirit of do the thing that scares you (as long as it’s not a valid scare because it’s dangerous or a dumb life choice #thanksanxiety), I’m ready to start consistently putting energy into movement again. 


It’s super intimidating! I can’t just snap my fingers and go back to the physicality I had. But, I can dedicate myself to some base habits and routines and see where they take this iteration of me.


Initial hopes:


1. Get my daily steps back to 7,000 (working from home is a movement nightmare for me; I average around 4,000 right now)


2. Get some time in zone 2 each week (getting back to that 150 minutes of moderate exercise is important to my health and longevity goals); doesn’t matter how long - just to push myself a little 


3. Do 2 strength workouts a week; doesn’t matter how long they are, but just to put the intention back into my weeks


My goal is to check in on these every now and then here (but, obviously, the blog will continue to be as random and nerdy and weird as I am!) and see how this goes. 


Have you always been a mover? All over the place like me?

Comments

  1. I was much like you when I was younger - hated movement and tried to get out of PE however I could. But when I was in my mid-20s, I started putting on weight at an alarming rate and I've exercised ever since. I've had a variety of illnesses and injuries, including a broken leg and broken hand, but I have tried to stay at it. I think it's admirable that you're ready to get back at it - even if it's a low level, at least you'll be doing SOMETHING and that's better than nothing every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, broken leg and hand are a lot! I definitely think just trying to stay at it is the key - consistency with what I can do at a time will always trump being frozen...

      Delete
  2. First. Kudos! I injured my knee years ago doing an exercise challenge and it took months before I was able to exercise normally again. Take it slow and steady is the best advice I can give!

    I've never been "athletic" so, to me, exercise does almost always feel like "work." Walking has been the #1 thing that works for me in terms of fitness and mental health. It has tapered off a bit in the last few years, but for a period of time I was walking ~15+ km's most days!
    I did a string of workout videos when my first daughter was born and enjoyed them, but now...walking (and running in the warmer months) is about all I can handle. I feel pangs of dismay when I see the varied routines of others, but I have to accept where I'm at and, right now, I'm happiest to fit in most of my exercise via walks (almost always with someone, too, so it tends to cross off the "social" to-do's on my list. I'll often ask someone if they want to meet and walk instead of just go out for coffee).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so get those pangs of dismay! I see all these women with these intricate and intense workout weeks - but, I have to remind myself that I'm in a different season of my life and I need to do what I can with what I have in this moment.

      Delete
  3. OMG a torn rotator cuff. That is no joke! I think that it is very difficult to "get back to it" but it sounds like you are being really smart about it and easing back in. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Turtle over here, haha! Slow and steady for the win!

      Delete
  4. This post resonated so much with me!! I grew up like you, escaping gym class if I could. Gym class was pure torture, like made for bullying and ridicule. I sucked at all things sports. But later in life my sister started strength training and inspired me to try it, which I did. I could never keep doing it because of life and work, but always wanted to get started with it again. Last year I started training with a personal trainer, which is the best thing I've done for myself. I get help to do exercises correctly, support and I'm challenged to lift heavier than I would have done on mh own which gives more results, and I'm challenged to do things I thought I couldn't do.

    I couldn't agree more about how strength training gives more confidence and mental strength. I've changed so much since I started with this. I look at myself differently, like with more respect.
    I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've had and I'm glad you're giving it a try again. Creating the habits is the most important step so well done making these plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we have so many similarities! Once I had someone showing me correct form for strength training, it really did so much to show me what I could do physically and my confidence. Hopefully, I can build up to that again - but, am also realizing I need to ease in so I don't crash and burn haha!

      Delete
  5. I wasn't athletic as a kid, but got into running in high school. I've run ever since, but in the past 14 years (suspiciously coinciding with the birth of my daughter) I've had so many injuries. Nothing major, but just little things over and over again. Shin splints, peroneal tendinitis, hamstring strain, plantar fasciitis, SI joint issues... etc. I'm hoping that the current modifications I'm making, plus adding strength training, will help me FINALLY train injury free.
    Good luck getting back into it- I know it can be scary. It's the irony of exercise. We're doing it for our health, but it brings a risk of injury. It's worth it though- you don't want to go into your 50s and 60s being sedentary. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning how to avoid injuries while still doing the things is my main focus, haha! But your last thought is exactly why I'm doing this; I very much want to focus on being active as I move through the rest of my 40s and into my 50s and beyond. Hopefully, like when I first started working out, getting into the habits (and DOMS haha) is the hard part, but staying in the routine once I'm there just becomes part of my life.

      Delete
  6. Your goals are so similar to my own. I haven’t done more than walking or the occasional Pilates video for more than a year because of my feet, and am just now getting back into it. Like, I did my first strength training routine yesterday (and am so sore I can barely hobble around 😂). So I completely empathize with everything you say. It is so hard to get back into it. My body is different, I am no longer capable of or flexible enough for things I could do easily just 18 months ago. It’s frustrating and discouraging.

    Baby steps, right? There will be a time after this. Sending you strength and solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strength and solidarity right back at you! It really is so frustrating. I try not to compare myself to who/what I was - but, it’s really hard not to when it’s so obvious!!

      Delete
  7. I've always been a mover and I've been VERY lucky to never have had a severe injury in all the years. It's terrifying to think about to start from scratch, but I love that you're setting goals that are achievable (even when daunting at first). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?