small joys on a Friday

moderate highs from a low week

grilled cheese for dinner. that’s it. that’s the post. 
Seriously, though, there’s something about a grilled cheese at the end of a long day that speaks to my heart. I worked full time at a Home Depot while I went to grad school full time in Boston* and my lunch break was driving to the mall up the street and getting the grilled cheese and fries of my dreams from the food court. Oh, to have that metabolism again haha!

Poker Face. even if it’s on Peacock.
We are one episode from the finale and it’s taken over our lives. I know I mentioned it before, but it just gets better and better. Stand-alone mysteries, Columbo-vibes, a season-long arc, snark as far as the eyes can see… 

Only 1/3 of us got the stomach bug. *knocks on everything*
Poor Lil Momma came down with the bug going around her class Tuesday night. Luckily, it was only 12 hours and I’m really good at working on no sleep. She watched Bluey from the couch for a whole day and then made her triumphant return to school and her social calendar like a boss. Here’s to resiliency (and continued health for me and her dad) (crossing all my fingers). 

my new** sourdough starter. because I’m a late bloomer.
This was supposed to be the year of new hobbies and biking and 5ks - but, it’s not been the best beginning. In an effort to see success in something small (but still be reminded of how weird and random the universe is), I decided to fulfill my dream of baking sourdough from scratch. I don’t know why I want to - but, I’m going for it! Day 3 and IT LIVES! Bonus, it’s a fun science lesson for Lil Momma. 


Thank you all for the kind words and wishes on my last post! It’s been a week for my poor mom, but hopefully we are on the upswing…


*so many stories from that time to tell at some point 

**I failed a starter in 2020. I was keeping enough alive at that time haha sigh

Comments

  1. Aieeee the stomach bug. I am so glad you dodged it. There is nothing worse than barfing.
    I used to love grilled cheese with tomato soup, although there's something about a roadside diner grilled cheese and fries that is just amazing. What is it about that? I have no idea but yum. Haven't had a grilled cheese in forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic of grilled cheese and fries is just as surprising as it is amazing, right? It's so carb heavy, but like the perfect ratio of an overabundance of crunch and cheese...

      Delete
  2. Stomach bugs. Even reading about them give me chills. Ugh. Fingers crossed.

    I almost never eat a grilled cheese, but when I was boarding with an older lady in university she made the BEST grilled cheese. She would put thinly sliced mushrooms or tomato inside and cooked them low and slow. She's serve them with these incredible homemade pickles. She passed away over a decade ago, but I still remember those memories with her so fondly. And I have never, ever had a better grilled cheese than the ones she used to make me in her tiny kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is such a lovely memory! Food really does bring back such connections to me. I can remember being at the neighbor's growing up and her grandmother made us grilled cheeses but she'd always basically burn one side and leave the other barely cooked so that her grandkid's texture preferences were kind of met no matter which one she served to them...

      Delete
  3. Knocking on everything for you as well regarding the stomach bug. Eeeeuuuuccchhhhhh.

    Grilled cheese is SO magical. My parents used to make grilled cheese for us when we were sick. Grilled cheese and full-sugar Coke, that was the magic combo. Also, I had a grilled cheese for my first meal after giving birth and even though the circumstances were less than ideal, the grilled cheese itself was amaaaaaaazing. YUM. Now I need to go make a grilled cheese asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the grilled cheese and soda combo when I was little, too! It was like the best treat and such a sign that I would feel better ! I can't remember what I ate after having my girl, but now I wish it was a grilled cheese haha!

      Delete
  4. Because of my husband's dietary restrictions, we never have bread in our house. But sometimes I order a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch from the cafe down the street and eat in at a picnic table and it is heavenly. Grilled cheese is the world's perfect food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilled cheese really is one of my love languages. A true constant.

      Delete
  5. GROAN! Not the stomach virus!!! We all had it and it was terrible. I hope you don't get it.
    When we were little, my mom always used to make us grilled cheese sandwiches with green olives on them. Then at some point as an adult I was making a grilled cheese with someone and I was like "okay, now we need the olives" and they just looked at me blankly. Somehow I thought ALL grilled cheese sandwiches had green olives. It's funny the things that are ingrained in your mind when you're a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I have never even thought of olives in a grilled cheese but my guy LOVES olives and we must try it post-haste (look, Sunday night meal planning is checked off)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?