on loss and this past week

First off, this is a sad one. If you're not in a place for a sad one, please skip and protect your peace. I'll get back to other topics soon.


It's hard to talk about the last week, but it's also hard to talk about the last month or six months or 4 years. Balancing being an only child caretaker for my sweet mom with being a mom and a worker and a partner and a person has often felt impossible and that the things I was letting drop or fall to the side very much outnumbered the things I was keeping going or even doing well (or well-enough to get by). 

Dementia is a cruel disease and we have watched my mother disappear in bits and pieces, losing her independence, her memories, and control. I am incredibly grateful that my daughter had a few years of magic with her beloved Nana, but also heartbroken that LM had to watch this deterioration happen. I always tell her that "fair" is a social construct, but she is 100% valid in saying that this just isn't fair.

Since I began to find my mother on the floor after countless falls back in 2019, Luke and I always assumed a fall would be how this all ended. Then, when COVID landed in 2020, that was added into our predictions because my poor mom had so many chronic conditions that the odds just weren't in her favor. We bubble wrapped our family and tried to do what we could to prevent both of those.

Then, because this is how the universe works, two weeks ago today she fell overnight at her assisted living and was hospitalized. 3 days later, she tested positive for COVID. 24 hours later she could no longer communicate. A week after she tested positive, we lost her. 

In some ways, we are so lucky. Although the days seemed excruciatingly long once we knew what was happening, we had enough time to prepare LM as much as we could, as well as my mom's ridiculously large circle of people. I was able to sit with her and talk to her. After 10s of hospitalizations these past few years, I had the kindest doctor be the one to let me know what this was and the nurses and staff were just so good to mom and me.


I am a mixture of sadness and relief. Her quality of life was not there this last year and I would never want her to suffer - but, I wish we could have paused 5 years ago and really savored her. It's a weird mix of feelings, but I know she's in a better place than she ever could have been in here and now.

I almost titled this post Death and Phone Calls because my world has just been swallowed by the telephone since we lost her. Besides being an elementary school secretary for decades, my mom worked at a church in her town and it was one of the only things she could still be involved in once she went into assisted living last year. Its members are of a certain generation that does not text or email (my preferred communication methods) and a lot of them don't even have answering machines. But, she loved them so much that I know these phone calls were the right thing to do, as will be the calling hours in a couple of weeks, the prayer service, etc.

But, I also know the right thing for my little family is putting up our decorations and staying in our routine and winter dance recitals and chorus concerts and friends and LIVING. It is a weird balance, but that has really been my bread and butter the last few years.

I don't want to link her obituary here because I don't want it google-able with her name. But, if you'd like to know more about who she was in her prime, please let me know and I'll flip you the link ❤️

Thank you all for your kind words on my last post and as I've navigated the last few months.

Comments

  1. Oh friend. I'm so, so sorry. My grandmother also had dementia and it creates a very unique form of grieving. In one way, you feel like you lose your loved one before their death. But the finality of their loss is still so painful.
    What a gift that she was so beloved and, being a woman of faith, was likely ready to pass peacefully. I'm so sorry she - and you - had such a difficult final year. This is all so hard and you have been a rock of support to so many around you.
    You must be absolutely exhausted physically and emotionally. I hope despite the grief and exhaustion you find moments of peace and calm. I'm so glad you're able to still find joy in the happy things in life - the decorations and recitals.

    Thinking of you and I'd love to read her obituary and learn more about such a special woman <3

    So many hugs. Thinking of you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth <3 this has not been the easiest of weeks/months/years, but I know she is in a better place and I'm so grateful LM has the memories of her that she does. I am so ready to rest a little once the next few weeks pass and think about all of it and her and what's life is/could be now....

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry. Hugs to you and your family. May the memories of your mom in good times outnumber the stress and grief of the last several.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. Dementia is really cruel and you were an incredibly wonderful caretaker for her. May she rest in peace and may the beautiful memories you have sustain you through this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read this. Dementia is a hard pill to swallow. My granny had it and it was so tough on all the family. And so sad to see the deterioration.
    Knowing she is in a better place still makes one grief. I am hoping you can find strength through those difficult hours and that you can take care of yourself and allow the grieving process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tobia! I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  5. Lindsay. Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry for your loss. Dementia is so cruel in that you lose your loved one more than once. And loss is so full of complicated emotions. I am surrounding you in love and light as you sit with your grief and your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you my friend <3 very much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Lindsay, I'm sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a parent. But I don't have experience with dementia, so that's a whole other issue. I think you're doing the right thing by keeping things as normal as possible for LM, even though it probably feels really strange. Hang in there- all those phone calls sound really rough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny <3 the phone calls seem to go on forever. But, we are finding little family moments for feelings and laughs and memories which feels so very right.

      Delete
  7. I honestly thought I had commented on this but now I am not seeing it. Lindsay, I am so, so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Dementia is cruel, as Suzanne said, and losing someone once, and then again, is a terrible form of heartbreak. I hope that the memories are helping you now, and that you are able to lean on support from your people. <3 Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anne <3 it's been truly so difficult; I don't think I realized how much we had lost until looking through so many pictures from 5, 10, + years ago for a slideshow I had to make. I'm lucky to have such lovely people in my life and LM's life and Luke's who have our backs right now. So very timely to be reminded of that!

      Delete
  8. And here it is.. I was anticipating this news after the last blog post. I am so sorry about your mom, Lindsay. Not just because of her passing but what she had to endure at the end of her life (my FIL had dementia too and passed away in August), so I know what it's like to see someone slip away. It's not a pleasant thing to witness and it can be a relief to not have to see this through til the end. Still, the loss is enormous. I am thinking about you <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?