five friday rambles

  

One This week has been oof. I don’t know if it was residual tiredfrom the time change, a wild work week where I had to be in office an extra day (and extra early) to co-lead a workshop, or just a really full brain and not enough sleep. Or, all 3?

 

Two To jump back a week, Lil Momma and I saw Frozen the musical at a theater in Rhode Island last Friday night. She loved, loved, loved it! I went in thinking I would be lukewarm about it, but ended up really enjoying how they translated it to the stage – and, SVEN WAS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!! Next season, this theater has a handful of shows that LM, the Mr. and I would all really enjoy and I’m hoping to lean into experience presents and keep this going.



Three We did have one awkward theater experience, though, that keep haunting me. LM and I were spread out a bit because our friends who were supposed to join us could not, so I was on the aisle and LM was spaced out a seat from me. In rest of the row was full, with a woman and her daughter in the middle. Partway through Act One, they got up to go out to the lobby; LM did the thing where she curled into a ball in her seat to let them by and I, not wanting to stand and block the show for people behind me, turned to the side and flattened myself. The little girl popped right out, but the mom must have hit the bottom of my chair or the lip of the floor because she face planted into the aisle and then got up and ran out. LM AND I WERE SHOOK! We spent the rest of the half glancing back trying to see if she was ok or if they would come back, but we couldn’t see them. Lights came up for intermission and we saw their stuff was still in their seats. We went to stretch our legs and saw them in the back of the theater. They must’ve grabbed their stuff and left because they were gone when we got back. I FELT SO BAD!!! I had been anxiety texting the Mr. all intermission and he didn’t think it was my fault, but oof. 

 

Four This is a big rehearsal weekend for LM as her show goesup next weekend. She has rehearsal Friday night for 2.5 hours, 4 hours tomorrow, and 3 hours on Sunday (followed by a dance class that night). Although this isn’t a race, it is an endurance effort so we have been focusing on a fueling strategy (post-rehearsal hanger and blood sugar crashes are brutal for ALL of us, sigh) and sleep hygiene in the hopes that she ends the weekend the right amount of tired, but proud of the work she put in (and ready to put more in next week during Tech Week and the performances next weekend).

 

Five Last year, I challenged my team at work to take a wellness day once a quarter just for them; a day just to reset and take a breath and settle some mental noise. When reminding them about this a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I have not personally been doingo this and Q1 was quickly coming to an end; role modeling is hard, haha! So, I am taking Monday off to have a day to myself; I am hoping to take a walk in the woods, go get a coffee, and hit the library (along with a quick dentist appointment) before I go pick up LM after her school day. Here’s hoping for some sunshine and a quiet day just to be!

 

What’s your MO for a day to yourself? Prior to the pandemic, I was always about going to a movie (or two!) or a long bike ride.


Comments

  1. Oh no! I would have the same reaction to the theater incident, BUT I cannot see how it was in any way your fault. Just an unfortunate accident.

    Your wellness day plan is so wonderful! I hope you have a great day to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - it was nice to break from work, but I spent most of it with a Novocain numbed face, which is a funny story but got in the way of fun coffee HAHA

      Delete
  2. My MO for a day to myself... Not that different...Meditation, movement, a hike, treat myself to lunch...READ, for sure. Watch, actually watch a movie that's been sitting in my queue for months. Organize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay for watching a movie you've been waiting to watch - I need to add that to my ideas list for these days!

      Delete
  3. Ooh! I guess I'm writing this on your day off. I hope you're enjoying it! I actually have a day planned on Wednesday- i'm celebrating my birthday early since I'll be working on my actual birthday. So far my plans for the day include the gym, Starbucks, and a trip to Barnes and Noble to spend a gift card.
    That theater incident is really weird. But not your fault at all- in that situation I would definitely flatten myself to the side rather than completely standing up. And why were they leaving in the middle of Act 1 anyway? Sounds like something weird was going on even before she fell.
    Good luck to LM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday since you're celebrating it when I'm writing this comment lol! That sounds like a dream day for me - I love a coffee and bookstore moment (with no time pressures on either)!

      Delete
  4. Oof, that theater experience sounds rough! But I don't think you did anything wrong there. Just an unfortunate accident. I would be anxiety-texting, too, though, so I understand your fear!

    Hooray for wellness days! We have unlimited PTO so I try to at least take one day off a month if I can to give myself a long weekend or something like that. I just did that last week - had a nice 4-day weekend just because!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing that about unlimited PTO. I know a lot of companies up here that have that set up, but then no one actually takes time off (which is wild to me). I am trying to be so much better about USING the benefits that are part of my package and am glad I'm supported in that by my leaders.

      Delete
  5. OMG, I would have been anxiety texting the whole time. And that they kind of snuck in and snuck out! I also would have made it worse by making a fuss when she fell down, though, so at least you didn't do that?
    Somehow... I never seem to take a day off. This is the problem with a job with no actual vacation time. Sigh. I need to figure something out, though - I can feel the stress starting to get out of hand. I hope your mental health/Lindsay day was wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, one of the best gifts I ever gave myself was permission to take that one day a quarter for just me. Even if I'm a dumpster fire like I am right now and don't always know what to do with myself, I think the act of just stepping away (and on a work day - SCANDALOUS!!) shows both myself and my job that I am a better worker and a better human when I take care of myself. I BELIEVE IN YOU! And, good on you for knowing the stress is starting to hit some out of hand levels - that really is the first step in trying to lessen it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?