on feedback and feelings

 What a rollercoaster of a week. It’s sometimes hard to share about Lil Momma’s big life; her privacy is always the priority. However, we went through a weird parenting and social experience that I think I can explore a little without breaking the trust I have with my girl.

 

Getting a “lead” in her musical theater class’s recital show has been a goal for LM since she started lessons 5 years ago. She’s seen her elementary school classmates who also go to this school excel; lead roles, asked to be on the competition team, etc.; and it’s been a lot of long conversations for us about opportunities and timing and growth and proving herself and, on the other side, how “fair” is a social construct and we don’t control some of these things and how there will be other opportunities to perform there and other places in the future. She has a whole life ahead of her and also has a very fulfilling set of dance classes and competition teams at a different studio, too.

 

So, when LM got the co-lead for this spring’s show, we were super excited, but I also had a niggle of worry because it was a BIG role. She has the most lines in the show and they are DENSE. Plus 3 nights of dance a week. Plus that March show she did. Plus dance comp May. But, she said she was doing well on lines and enjoying her classes, so I let it go. I offered once a week to help her (which she took me up on a few times); otherwise I gave her space to experience this experience and learn what a main character takes to do it well.

 

Last week was the final night of class at the studio; this week’s class was dress rehearsal at the theater they perform in and the one-chance-to-do-the-thing show is this weekend. Last Wednesday, I rushed home from my in-office day and got her in her costume and did her hair and wished her luck. The Mr. drove her to the studio and then went back to get her a few hours later. I was reading when I got a text from him warning me she was “quite upset”; but, my kid is dramatic so that could be anything from a stubbed toe to a tragedy.

 

When they got home, she was choking from sobbing so hard. It literally took me over an hour to calm her down. From what I could understand between her and the Mr. was that her teacher wasn’t there so the woman who runs the studio did their rehearsal. Note, I went to this place as a child and have known this woman my entire life. LM got nervous because it’s this woman who makes the competition team decisions and LM really looks up to her; she got thrown off on her really-fast-and-really-hard-to-sing solo song and then started blanking on the last 3 scenes of the show. It was like a snowball. As all the kids were leaving with their parents, the studio owner told each of them that they did a great job, but then put her hands on LM’s shoulders and told her she had to do better or her scenes would be cut. The Mr. was a little shocked and said she knew the lines and the studio owner said, “not tonight.” LM crumbled in the lobby and then it spiraled until she got home.

 

This is where I feel like a jerk parent, though. I don’t agree with LM getting this feedback in front of others, nor when other parents at dress rehearsal told me that LM’s performance was picked apart for entire rehearsal to the point the other kids were defending her to their parents because we all know she know her lines – it hurts my heart BIG TIME and I feel so awful I wasn’t there and didn’t know… 

 

But I also know LM and I then took the entire day Sunday to deep dive the lines and the role because she wasn’t fully solid on some parts – AND SHE IS NOW. She did the work and went back to dress rehearsal last night and KILLED IT. The director of her spring show barely recognized her; she was a force of nature. She even said to me on the ride home that she knows what she needs to do from day 1 now.

 

So, I feel gross. I talked to the studio owner who stands by her notes and, hey – they worked! But my girl is also only 10 (well, almost 11) (oof, my heart) and I don’t love her being belittled in front of people or not supported when she makes mistakes. It’s ok to make mistakes! If she wasn’t so scared, maybe she would have been able to rally during that “bad” rehearsal. And, I know theatre can be rough and my girl can be delicate and hasn’t been exposed to a lot of “notes” or criticism and maybe it’s time? I don’t know. 

 

In the end, this is just one of those parenting moments I have to just get her and I through. I am sure she will do so well at the show on Saturday and this uncomfortable moment will fade. But, I’ve spent the week with my head spinning and my heart aching, feelings I know many of us have gone through.

 

Here’s to the show going on and getting through that and the last day of school on Monday and dance recital next weekend! What a week, oof.

Comments

  1. Oh, this is so hard. Those moments of parenting really bring me to my knees - where is the script for the perfect response - but it sounds like you handled it with grace but it's so hard to know what to do also realizing that when harsh words have been spoken they can't be undone which makes it so frustrating that LM was ever treated that way. I'm so sorry this happened to her and hope that she moves forward with confidence since she is clearly so very talented and is ready!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth! I have been so exhausted and sharp all week and I couldn't figure out why until I realized it was just the weight of this situation pushing me over the edge. You want to protect them from moments like this, but I can also see it will open up some good and real conversations for me and my girl - while I secretly hope she seriously blows them all away during the show this weekend, haha!

      Delete
  2. Woof, that is a hard one. I think you made the right decision, though. Everything is a learning experience, some experiences are more painful than others. But the fact that she killed at the dress rehearsal means that she learned and is going to do well! Sometimes shitty things have to happen for us to learn - and I speak from experience! Not pleasant for anyone, but clearly she rallied and worked and is going for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! It's so funny - LM knows what words she should NOT say, but last night she looked at me and said "Mum, I'm gonna say a grown up word but you need to let me: she made me feel like CRAP but that CRAP is going to make me not treat anyone else like that so I don't make them feel like CRAP" which is really wise for a 10 year old but also right on brand as she said "crap" really loudly each time and grinned, haha!

      Delete
  3. AHHHH. Yes, I know this feeling so, so well. It's HARD. But why do you feel like a jerk parent? LM had a very hard experience but she didn't crumble to pieces. She bounced back from it even stronger. We all wish we could spare our kids from painful experiences, but the truth is, they need them in order to grow. Having said that- I probably err on the side of protecting my kids too much, so this is maybe something I know in theory but don't always achieve in real like. But no matter how hard we try, they're going to go through hard things where they suffer. I think this is going to be an overall positive experience for LM. BEST OF LUCK IN THE SHOW!!! Give us an update when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I felt like a jerk because I kind of agreed with the note (just not how it was given)? I knew she had to learn what it meant to know the lines backwards and forwards herself and that she wouldn't hear that from me - so I was glad someone else connected that in her head, I just hate that it had to be in such a public and pointed way, sigh. But, she is past it and I am getting there - the show must go on, haha! I will definitely share next week about how we get on with it ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah this is a tough one...but LM handled herself so well. Maybe the teacher could take some notes for her and work to improve her feedback delivery as much as LM studied to improve her performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uff, this is so hard on a mama heart... and I agree, picking someone apart in front of others is harsh, especially for young kids, but even though this was a painful experience for LM, I think she bounced back in a big way. I am sure this was a lesson she'll take with her going forward, even if it was hard. You don't need to feel bad wanting to protect your kid's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry I am late with my comment. Wanted to offer support. It is a tough situation. I have to give feedback/critique all the time and it is done in class, aloud, pretty much in front of all students. But i teach Spanish and I do make corrections all the time. But I am in high school with 10, 11 and 12 grade, LM is only 10. I am glad she could learn from the experience and move on. Giving good, meaningful feedback is really a true art, and unfortunately, many teachers simply were not trained on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so tough, friend. This made my heart ache for LM because I know that feeling of embarrassment and heartbreak at being called out. It's the worst, especially when you're a kid! I'm glad, though, it all worked out in the end and it lit a fire under her to improve and show this teacher what-for. ;) I do think the teacher needs to figure out a better way to respond to children, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already emailed you about this, long ago, when it actually came out. But I just wanted to say, reading it again, now? I still think you did the right thing on both counts. You set LM up for success, and you communicated your thoughts to the owner. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

to chop or not to chop?

friday rambles