dare of the week #1

 I’ve been slowly getting adjusted to walking boot life over here. Doing errands is a pain with the boot off to drive and on to walk and off to drive and then on again, but I’m selectively making my way through things. I miss taking walks and just running down the stairs, but could be so much worse. I’ve been reading a ton - look for a round up later this week! - and I’ve also been thinking a lot in this still time that I have. 

I think mid-year is the perfect time to try out some new things and shake off some of this heaviness I’ve been carrying with me. So, what I’m going to do some weeks is give myself a personal dare to take one week and have of go at a habit or routine change or a task I’ve been avoiding and just see what that might bring to my life. One week is doable if it’s not working, but as long enough to give something a good try. 

For the first one, I have the habit of waking up and picking up my phone to scroll almost immediately. It’s a horrible way to start my day; however, it’s muscle memory. The phone is literally right next to my glasses, which are the first thing I grab when I wake up.



For this week, I am going to try and move my phone charger across the room. It seems like a super small change, but it really is going to shake up so much of what I do first thing in the morning and last thing at night. 

I’m super interested to see how this changes how I feel in the morning and how I approach things and maybe will lead to a morning rhythm that speaks more to be the person I instead of flooding myself with everyone and everything else.

“Dare” seems like such a daring word for someone who hated “truth or dare?” with a passion when she was younger, ha ha! But I like the energy of it for where I’m at right now.

Were you a “truth or dare?” fan or did it give you weird vibes like me? 

Comments

  1. Keeping your phone across the room is such a good idea! I am a huge believer in putting it away for the night before I put myself away for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best way of saying things, Nicole!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I will be very interested to see if moving the phone works and if you keep it up after the one week. The only reason why I don't look at my phone first thing in the morning is that I'm the first one up, and by the time I've walked downstairs I'm in enough of a groove to keep going to our basement gym. I really like the "I'm just doing this for a week" approach.

    I'm sorry you're in the boot but looking forward to the reading recap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how that momentum gets you down to the gym! I'm hoping it helps give my days a different energy, even if having my alarm go off across the room scared the crap out of me this am, haha!

      Delete
  3. My phone is across the room so I have to physically get out of bed to turn off the alarm. It is my only real life hack. Then I can't go back to bed. *sigh* I really want to, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what got me this morning! I only have an alarm set for my in office days and it definitely got me moving faster than when it was by my head. I have to wonder if my alarm anxiety will ease off as a bonus win?

      Delete
  4. Let us know how it works. I am guilty too of looking at my phone first thing, although I justify it because I usually check if my workout peeps had change of plans or if we're meeting on the Peloton as scheduled LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're so good about working out so early! I always end up checking work email and then social media and then wonder why I feel so unbalanced before I even get my coffee, sigh.

      Delete
  5. Love it! I definitely look at my phone first thing (almost exclusively to look at Feedly). Sigh. Can't wait to hear back from you on how this goes. It's incredible how tiny tweaks can completely upend our routines (in good and bad ways). You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to figure out what this Feedly thing you all keep talking about is, haha! Thanks for the support - I like how microsized the change is :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I like this! A dare a week. What I like about it is, instead of wallowing in misery because you're in a boot (which is what I would do) you're taking things in a different direction. If some (or all!) your dares are successful, instead of looking back and saying "ugh, that was the summer I was in a boot" you'll be saying "that was the summer I broke a lot of bad habits and got my life on a good track." Good luck with the first one- putting your phone across the room should work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my family would say I am definitely wallowing, ha ha, sigh! But, it could be so much worse and you're so right, the dares are a great distraction and something to DO when I can't do what I want to do.

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I bet it will make a big impact. I stopped scrolling my phone first thing in the last year and it's really helped me.

    Truth or Dare gave me weird vibes as a kid too. But I love dare in this regard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim! I'm such a huge fan of your blog! And, so glad to hear this helped you. My screen time is a mess, so I'm really hoping small changes will help me actually change.

      Delete
  8. I was not a fan of truth or dare since I was always very shy. But this kind of dare is awesome. I've been leaving my phone downstairs and felt better about it. I only use it in the car for maps/podcasts, and for whatsApp for my friend group. I "try" not to read on my phone but I misplace my kindle so often... Need to get better.
    Maybe we can hold each other accountable for putting our phones away at night and in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downstairs?!!? That is WILD, Daria! We don't have a house phone, so I'm always afraid of missing an important call. I love that accountability idea - let's do it!

      Delete
  9. Ooh as a private and risk adverse person, Truth or Dare gives me a lot of anxiety.
    I’m really interested in how your weekly challenge goes, and what other weekly dares you have. You’re right- a week seems very doable!
    My phone is across the room at night and I have a goal to not look at it before 7am, not even to check the weather. I find that once I even pick it up, it’s kind of game over and I lose morning momentum.
    I’m sorry to heat about the boot. Your statement about missing running down the stairs— how true- such a seemingly small thing, and yet its absence felt so acutely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

to chop or not to chop?

friday rambles