five for a Friday

Sometimes you just gotta jump back into things, right?

Here’re 5 things from this past week:

1. Maysie finished up a “party tricks” training class. I say “finished up” and not “graduated” (even though she did graduate) because she is way too far into her 2nd year of puppy-hood wildness to really pick up many of the tricks. She’s stubborn like the rest of us, haha! 


2. Lil Momma turned 13 last week and then started 8th grade this week. I don’t even know how to process it. She’s as tall as me? She sleeps in on the weekends?? 2 days of school followed by a 4 day weekend seem like the best way to ease into this last year of middle school. 


3. I’ve been on a vision journey where, after 6 months of dealing with it, I finally went to the eye doctor to figure out why my vision is super blurry at night on the days I work from home  (I haven’t been able to read books! Or recipes! It’s been so not fun.) As someone who wears progressive (tri-focal) glasses because I am both far- and near-sighted, I thought my eyes were just failing more. Turns out, my work from home monitor was giving me eye strain AND I needed a stronger reading (within 2 feet of my eyes) prescription. Now, I’m wearing contacts for anything 2+ feet from my face and reading glasses when I need to see closer (which is most of the time) and everything is oh so much clearer.  And, I can see books and recipes again!


4. Not a lot of what’s kept me not writing is bloggable, but a lot of resetting and rethinking and reconsidering across a lot of spheres. I’ve had to put school on hold for a bit, sigh, but it will be there when this settles more. Here’s hoping we are on our way away from that and can finish up some of the last tasks to get onto what’s next. 


5. This long weekend is going to be full of finishing redoing LM’s room (part of her birthday present), trying anew sourdough method, a walk in the woods with Maysie, and hopefully the new season of Taskmaster. I’m so ready for a bit of a break after a chaotic August. 


I see Halloween in the stores and pumpkin flavors everywhere, but I’m a holdout for apple desserts and fall fun until after the first freeze. How about you? All fall once September hits? Do you wait until “official” fall later this month? Or, are you a temperature person like me?

Comments

  1. I start the fall treats once the cravings kick in, which is anywhere from the day they come out to sometime in October. It's a guarantee that I'm good for a pumpkin cold brew at SBUX, one to two pumpkin beers, and some kind of pumpkin pasta.

    I'm sorry that you had to put school on hold, but glad that you're taking the pause since it would be far worse to try to juggle school when you have too much already on your plate. The truest thing that you said is that it will always be there.

    Doggo was way too rowdy as a puppy to learn much in her training classes, but she did pick up a solid roster of about three tricks which was all that she needed to work the crowd for treats at our family parties. She's so much more trainable now that she's three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maysie’s organic way of sitting since we got her is with her front paws crossed. When we tried to teacher the command for it, she refused to do it for 3 weeks, haha! She did learn a few thing but we will wait for any specialized classes until after she grows a bit more. We also figured out that we’ll have to repeat intermediate training next spring since she’s just really wanting to play with everyone right now. As LM puts it, “she’s just a baby!”

      Delete
  2. Hey, you're back! Hi! Rex does not have any party tricks. He went through obedience training before we got him, though, so it was a pretty smooth transition (we got him when he was 1 1/2 which was amazing).
    Yikes, I'm glad you figured out the vision thing. My mom is having massive issues right now which I can't really talk about publicly, but it's quite awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nicole, my heart is with you and your mom. My vision failing is one of my great fears and having spent the bulk of the summer thinking that was the road I was on was so very hard and lonely.

      Maysie isn’t even 1 1/2 yet so it was pretty aspirational of us to think she would make the tricks class worth it, haha! She’s much happier running around the yard and collapsing wherever the Mr. wants to sit….

      Delete
  3. I don't like to start celebrating things too early, I think it takes away some of the good vibes with it. I don't want to see anything about Halloween in October and no Christmas stuff until December, but when we're at least in the right month, then I'm all in. However, I need to start preparing for Halloween already because we have a Halloween music session and I need lots of time to plan a fun outfit.
    How nice to solve the eye problem! That's so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so overwhelming! I’m trying to stay “present”, you know? Haha! Oooh, Halloween music sounds so intriguing; I can’t wait to hear about that session!

      Delete
  4. I put off acknowledging fall as long as possible. It's just one short step to winter and I'm going to cling to summer as long as humanly possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid take! Fall’s proximity to winter really is its downfall, vibes-wise…

      Delete
  5. I live in Florida so fall is more of a feeling than anything else, ha. So my apartment is decorated for fall and I'm enjoying all my pumpkin-flavored things!

    Oof, eye strain. I'm having some issues not even 2 years after getting LASIK and it's really demoralizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so sorry! That must be so frustrating, especially after the “promise” of LASIK which had always seemed like a magic wand… Hoping there’s some solution for you, especially with your other medical stuff you have going on.

      Delete
  6. Wow, glad you figured out the eye thing. It's funny how we struggle so long with a problem, thinking "well I guess this is just the way things are now" and then it turns out- there's a SOLUTION for that! I'm glad you can read again- that sounds like a very sad situation.
    Ditto what Stephany said. If we dictated the seasons by temperature down here, we'd be celebrating fall in January. I like the idea of fall (as you probably know) so I'm all in with pumpkins. But I'm not opposed to apples! Apple->Pumpkin->Pine is a good schedule to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, up here is more Pumpkin > Apple > Pine/Peppermint, but the stores putting out fall stuff in August kind of throws it all off (but that might just be me venting about getting a late school supplies list and struggling to find places that still had stuff out, haha)…

      Delete
  7. I am not ready for fall.. September definitely still feels like summer here.
    I am sorry about the eye issues… that’s the NOT FUN part of getting older, but then again, what a privilege to age, am I right? :) (Also, how do kids grow up so fast?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very fast! LM being as tall as me has really landed how quick the time goes…

      Also, so true about aging being a privilege. For all these bumps I’m running into, I’m lucky to be able enough to do something about most of them (and old enough to know I can’t magically put myself “back” to where I was…)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ch- ch- changes

26 for ‘26

pupdate #1