three things from… #1

notes from a weekend



  • I am more ahead on teacher and activity gifts than I’ve ever been at this point in the month; however, I did forget that we would have to wrap these (oof, tiny details). On a desperation shopping trip to Target, I realized that I could almost be doubling the price of the actual gift by trying to buy gift bags. Luckily, I found a pack of white bags that would fit our little presents. Lil Mama looked a little daunted when I told her I was hoping she would decorate them, but it became the perfect weekend activity! She’s so enjoyed drawing a special picture on each one (even though she did give some feedback about drawing presents in a color she didn’t like for some of the teachers who are not her favorites, sigh). I think we’ll keep this as a tradition!

  • My girl is the most extra extrovert (she gets it from her dad) and very excitedly volunteered to deliver her classroom’s gifts to the local elder that they’ve been gathering for. As the parent who is not as socially adept - my guy made all my mom friends for me - this is a bit of a nightmare. Not only do we need to connect with her teacher and the volunteers who are organizing all of this, but we also have to drive to a stranger’s house, park, knock on their door, and carry in boxes of gifts. I’m already freaking out. Then, although her teacher connected me over email with the organizers, there was radio silence back. I sent another email to no avail. On social media over the weekend, I saw one of the organizers looking for volunteers, so I gathered my brave and did my last ditch effort for my girl by sending a message via the social media interwebs. I woke up this morning to response, so I guess we really are doing this on Friday. Further updates to come. 

  • I finished my book on Friday and then spent the whole weekend reading magazines that had piled up; it felt both decadent and flighty. I grew up a voracious reader and magazines helped bolster the amount of material I could go through each week. They felt so grown up, and I loved how each article was a different*. A cup of tea and a magazine article between tasks made the weekend feel special (and I was less cranky when my girl dragged me away from reading to do or watch things haha!). 
*Obviously, there’s so much more to be said about the focus of women’s media back when I was young, and how it’s impacted all of us today – but that’s way too much for a casual weekend note…

Comments

  1. That is a hilarious tidbit about using a disliked colour on a gift for teachers that aren't...favourites. What a subtle nod to some form of justice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really loves to control her controllables, haha!

      Delete
  2. I love those little gift bags - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked so fun - I might make this a "thing" for us!

      Delete
  3. Having your daughter decorate gift bags is so smart! And I love her little secret way of expressing her feelings toward her teachers. Good luck with the volunteer participation -- I completely empathize with all of your frets about it! I hope it goes better than anticipated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?