highs and moderate lows v3

some thoughts on the week that was 

high. I am still overjoyed at how much I enjoyed Cloud Cuckoo Land. I love time jump-ish, connected timelines, "easter egg" media. Doctor Who is my jam (though, lots of feelings about the last few years), I intensely read articles about comic book connections within MCU movies, I loved the Tana French Murder Squad books because of how loosely they were connected. All to say that CCL was right up my alley. I love when sci-fi feels "real" - the characters felt like fully formed people (not devices) and the different "worlds" were vivid. It probably helps that the writing was contemporary throughout (I'm a lazy reader when asked to jump between historical language patterns and modern). It took me both outside of myself from a few of the narrators and also within thinking about decisions and regrets and plotlines. I'm a few books past it, but I still think about it all the time!!

moderate low. I've read so many running / workout / cycling blogs for so many years and I think I have what folks call a "niggle". The top of my foot and my ankle are unhappy, but taking time off my walks and slogs doesn't seem to have helped (and kind of bummed me out more). I've been down a Dr. Google rabbit hole and have some stretches, toe separators, and icing/rolling to try out while I get back into a movement routine.

high. This weekend has a great balance of together time and down time, both of which are exactly what I need after this week. Lil' Momma and I are making cornmeal lemon and blueberry scones, doing an act of kindness in remembrance of the woman who started the studio where LM dances, and having a family movie night and a reading date at some point... I love weekends where there are things to do (together) and time to be alone to recharge.

Are you surprised "niggle" is a word (and a thing)? I sure was!

Have the best weekend!

Comments

  1. Hmmm! I wish I had words of wisdom for your niggle. I have a lot of foot issues but not in that particular area. You didn't twist your ankle, did you? I agree, it's a bummer to take time off.
    Enjoy your scones! Those sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember twisting my ankle! It's these weird, mystery niggles that keep me up at night, haha! PS: the scones were AMAZING! So worth taking a chance on.

      Delete
  2. Niggle is a great word - so descriptive and non-descriptive at the same time. I have no advice unfortunately, I hope the 'niggle' goes away.

    I love your statement: "I love weekends where there are things to do (together) and time to be alone to recharge." Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making sure I hit both types of time during a weekend is what makes it feel like a weekend to me! Hope you had a good one!

      Delete
  3. Cloud Cuckoo Land is such a great book! I was surprised when we discussed it for our book club that not everyone shared my opinion, but I just thought it was so smart and sprawling and there were so many little Easter eggs in the writing and I cannot speak highly enough about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t had a five-star book in so long! It really was everything I love about reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?