what I’m…. #2

 

A weekly-ish round up of what I’m…

watching. We started Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery on Monday, but finishing it wasn’t meant to be with Lil’ Momma’s choice to have bedtime feelings 12 hours before school break ended. Obviously, I can’t speak to the whole yet, but this started slow for me. As someone of the generation for whom Clue was checked out weekly from Blockbuster (oof, aging myself) and a college-years monthly dorm room party movie  night*, Knives Out was a whole moment for me**. The pacing, the snark, the red herrings - it’s why I love mysteries. So far, Glass Onion isn’t doing it for me…

reading. I have so much to say about Cloud Cuckoo Land and am at a blog crossroads*** about how I want to talk about books. Individual posts? A monthly reading roundup? (I used to read every post in a now-defunct reading link-up…) Highs and moderate lows entries? I’ll decide soon. In the meantime, I’m on to The Janus Stone, the second Ruth Galloway mystery. I’m shopping for a new series and my 10 word review of the first one (The Crossing Places) was “comfort food murder mystery; I felt like I knew them”.


listening (to): in support of one of my 23 things to do this year, I listened to music on my way back from dropping my mom off on New Year’s Day. A local radio station does an Acoustic Sunrise on Sunday mornings and I vibes out to some old favorites (Indigo Girls!) and new-to-me covers (hello, Harry Styles…) for the ride home. I also checked out The Maintenance Phase podcast, which has a great mix of debunking, good energy between cohosts, and thought provoking topics.


What kind of book reviews do you like to read? Quick round-ups, longer reactions, number of stars and just move on? 

*a double feature along with the OBC Into the Woods, natch


**the last pre-pandemic movie I saw in the theater, sigh. Solo movie days were my favorite…


***it may be too soon in this adventure to be at a crossroads, but I feel like it sets a precedent!

Comments

  1. I love all book reviews. I prefer slightly longer ones, but I'm not really picky. I just want to know if a book is worth adding to my list.

    I fell asleep twice in the first hour of Glass Onion. I dunno. It took a long time to get to the island and then it took a long time for anything to happen. I guess the setup was necessary for the end, but I didn't LOVE it. It was fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% agree about Glass Onion! “Fine” is the perfect word for it. I think my expectations were way too high going in and now I’m just “meh” about it.

      Delete
  2. I loooooove book reviews. Mini ones, long ones. Positive ones, negative ones. I just want to hear people's thoughts about books. And while I understand the urge not to set a precedent, I think occasional solo reviews mixed in with monthly roundups -- or whatever combo feels good to you! -- works. Or even just casual fly-by mentions of books in a post about other things! I am here for it, whatever it looks like. (And I really, really need to get to Cloud Cuckoo Land this year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so funny; I keep these quick reviews as I finish books in the notes on my phone, but putting them here seems so formal haha! I think I’ll be sprinkling in thoughts here and there and then a monthly wrap-up to cover what I miss!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?