wins from one of those weeks

This week was one of those weeks: a sad kid, a cut on my foot, work projects snowballing…


…but, after spending some well deserved time in a pit, I’m ready to climb out with a quick list of wins and smiles:


I couldn’t walk, but I barre-d

I had this whole plan for lunch workouts this week because after-school activities and homework and night routine keep bumping exercise from my list. Monday night, I tripped in our bedroom and cut my foot. It’s fine, I’m fine - but it’s enough to shut down most non-essential movement. Not being able to walk or ride or put pressure on it (I can barely get a shoe on) shut my brain down for a bit, but I made a random turn into Barre workouts on the Peloton app. It was no pressure on my foot, a great lower body workout, and checked something off my list - all wins!


I read two books at the same time 

I’m a reading monogamist. It goes against my love of tangents and rambles, but I’ve always just read one book straight through before moving on to another. This week, I started reading The Candy House at night, but when Lil Momma and I had our weekly reading date upstairs, I picked up Remarkably Bright Creatures and dove right in. Wild times, I know - but it was fun to do something a little different (even though I’m going back to one at a time when I’m done with these) - trying something new is for sure a win!


I had a Friday dessert on a Thursday 

Lil Momma and I have a Friday tradition: we go to the bakery in town after school and pick up individual desserts and eat them before dinner (Dessert First Friday even has its own theme song in our household!). After this week became less and less fun - school friend drama and a long-feared orthodontist appointment for her, caretaking drama and just a mountain of work for me - we were driving away from her ortho appointment Thursday afternoon (where they prolonged my girl’s dread because x-rays weren’t shared on time) and I just drove to the bakery to reset the rest of our week. Her face lit up, we had dessert first a day early, and everything seemed a little more manageable. Her smile was win enough for me!


The little things always seem to win out, am I right? Hope you had some wins in your week, whether big or small! 

Comments

  1. "I'm a reading monogamist" - haha! Love this.
    Sorry to hear about your foot. I had one of those weeks, too - but after lots of wallowing and tears, I'm able to see there were a lot of great moments as well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you've had one of those weeks, too - but glad you can see some rays of light! I really do believe a good wallow is good for the soul every now and then.

      Delete
  2. You are the second person to mention Remarkably Bright Creatures this week! I put it on hold, but it will be forever until I get it - there are hundreds in the queue!
    I have never tried a barre workout on Peloton! Maybe I should!
    Dessert First Friday - what a fun idea that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it mentioned on a couple of blogs which is why I put it on hold! It is not what I expected but totally worth it so far. I really do like the barre classes - it's a different "flavor" for core and lower body and the 10 min ones fly by. Happy Friday!

      Delete
  3. My mom almost always eats dessert first because, as she says, the house might blow before you get to the dessert course. This has always seemed reasonable to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom sounds amazing and I am totally onboard with that approach!

      Delete
  4. I am also a reading monogamist (99% of the time!).
    I love that "dessert tradition"... who says you can't have dessert on a Thursday BEFORE dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know what’s going to land with her - he told everyone on our hike yesterday about the extra exciting week we had haha!

      Delete
  5. You did a lot of new and different things this week, and it sounds like it worked out great. Sorry about your foot- but then, you discovered barre. i used to do the Peloton barre classes, and they're good! I've also heard really great things about Remarkably Bright Creatures- my TBR list is humongous right now, but at some point I'll have to read it.
    'Dessert First Friday" on Thursday... you're a good mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?