dispatches from team turtle

thoughts from the week that was

First, thank you all for the kind thoughts on my last post. It’s a challenge to see my family bounce back so easily from COVID while I’m still having issues (see below), but I for sure have a better sense now of what’s baby steps towards feeling better vs. pushing it too hard, too soon, too fast and am just taking each day slowly. 


School vacation week was a blur of working when I could and keeping Lil Momma happily distracted. A few highlights:


Hamilton was such a lovely experience! LM was incredibly excited and soaked up every single second. She sobbed her eyes out during It’s Quiet Uptown and left saying “I finally understand standing ovations! I want to ovation all the way home!”


-My guy and I got each other 3 months of subscription boxes for Christmas. He’s really enjoyed his snack boxes from Austria and now Brazil and I, surprising us both, am loving cookie of the month deliveries! Last month, it was 8 of Jacques Torres’s famous chocolate chip cookies (totally freezable, thankfully) and this month it was a mixed bag of cookies from Cookie Good, including pretzel and salted caramel, s’mores, Cap’n Crunch and more! I love being able to share with my little family and have a fun treat each weekend. 



Finally, I don’t know if this qualifies as a “lowlight” per se, but it’s definitely a bummer: I’m still challenged by some fatigue and other post COVID things. Exhaustion, hives, etc. I took the week off movement, but that did nothing to help my sleep and resting heart rate (per the data my Oura ring is giving me), so I telehealth chatted with my PCP who gave me some things to try for a couple of weeks to see if I can navigate through this: 


-10 min slow walks or rides a couple of times a day and mobility work and/or stretching throughout the week (so I feel like I’m doing things)


-no screentime after 9, no water after 7, and no caffeine after 3 (exploring decaf tea options as my reaction was “but tea time is at 3:30!” haha)


-get outside for at least 5 minutes everyday (even if it’s just standing on the porch during this upcoming storm)


I hope everyone had a wonderful week! Here’s to wrapping up February and moving on to a better March and signs of spring!

Comments

  1. Ugh, Covid is so random! That doctor's advice sounds reasonable- I hope it helps.
    I'm glad Hamilton was so fun! And your cookie subscription box sounds amazing. Great Christmas present from the guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made for this lovely extended gift when we've fallen to necessities the last few years ("here's that t-shirt you wanted" "here's your face cream", etc.)!

      Delete
  2. Covid really is like... you never know what you're gonna get. Horrible disease.
    Hmm, cookie of the month subscription? That sounds fabulous!
    Good idea to do stretching, mobility etc, these are important for when you can get more active later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the hope - do what I can now to make getting back at it later (but hopefully not too much later) easier!

      Delete
  3. Oh ugh, Covid can be so awful. I'm glad you're recovering, and slowly just incorporating movement back.
    Cookie of the month club! I could really get behind that.
    I cry in It's Quiet Uptown too, and I also lose it in the song where Eliza is talking about playing piano. Wahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, same! Some songs that just get me in the feels - how the first song builds makes me well up!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I'm so sorry you are still struggling. Sounds like you have an excellent plan in place for taking care of yourself, though. I hope the week only improves from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am trying to come in with a good attitude! (after being a lump last week haha sigh)

      Delete
  5. Ugh. I am so, so sorry. It's such a bummer it is taking so long to recover. You're doing all the right things with taking it as easy as possible. Wishing you a speedy recovery and grace and plenty of rest until you feel back to your normal self <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elisabeth! Such a lesson on patience and doing the work. Hope you had a good vacation week!

      Delete
  6. So sorry you're still dealing with lingering Covid symptoms. Just take it slow! I am hoping you'll feel better soon.

    I am so glad that Hamilton was such a fun experience (I am completely ignorant to its greatness at this point, I've only listened to a few songs during Peloton workouts LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, taking it so slow over here - I for sure learned my lesson! And, those Peloton Hamilton moments are so fun; I enjoy those rides and when Matty does the Broadway walks. The playlist really can make such a difference!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?