to DNF or not to DNF

Is staying the course worth it?

I have traditionally been a reading completist: If I start a book, I finish it. If I start a series, I see it through. If I read everything an author writes - you get the point!

But, as I come back to reading after all this life chaos, I’m finding that this is the one thing that’s slowing my mojo. When I’m loving a book, I love reading and it’s all I want to do. I truly feel like myself again…

…but, when I’m not vibing with a book, it feels like work to read (and I have enough work!); I just stop and avoid it - then, weeks go by, the holds pile up, and I’m hiding from a bookmark. 

I don’t know if my life has changed so much that I’m just not going to spend time reading things that don’t speak to me (which, honestly, feels really healthy!); I have a kid and a guy and friends and burgeoning hobbies and life is too short and precious to force-read…

…but, I’ve always felt there’s something to sticking a book out to see where it goes. Not every book is going to change my life, but usually there’s something that will grab me or get me, even if it’s a phrase or a plot twist or just how bad something is end to end. 

I don’t know what the answer is… For right now, I’m going to drop the ones dragging me down while I build up my momentum again; but, I wouldn’t be surprised if once I get going, I’ll swerve back the other way!

Nothing like getting locked out of your own blog for a week - oof! Glad to be back and comment responses to come!

Comments

  1. I struggle with this, too. A few books lately have really felt like work, but also (they've been non-fiction) like effort I should be making. Like there was great information, but also a lot to process and then, theoretically, do. Sigh. I just re-ordered an old favourite from the library because I need something that is guaranteed to be easy and fun (and to show you how insanely boring I am, it's a book about minimalism; YES, this is my comfort reading).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it is a book about minimalism! Comfort reading is so personal, right? I have been thinking about grabbing an old favorite, too, just to enjoy something end to end. I think I have to accept that it's ok to walk away right now from books that aren't serving me. I'm the only person worrying when I don't finish a book, haha!

      Delete
    2. Mic drop! "I"m the only person worrying when I don't finish a book." How true! (And this applies to so many other tangential things in life. Like I'm the only person worrying about how messy my counters are or how I overcooked the pasta for company.

      Delete
    3. It really is such a freeing and expansive thought! These things that consume me really are consuming only me...

      Delete
  2. I always feel guilty when I DNF a book... but... there are SO MANY books in the world, and more all the time, and I would much rather enjoy reading than feel it's a chore. Plus, sometimes a book just doesn't speak to me at a certain point in time, but if I come back to it later, it is a joy to read. Which is all to say that I am an enthusiastic proponent of reading books that you enjoy, and putting aside those books that don't speak to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that philosophy! That is what I am leaning towards. There are no stakes to how much I read or if I'm caught up on a series (outside of my own anxiety-driven pride that I complete things, haha) and life is too short to use my free time to read like it's required! I can always come back to books and see if they grab me at a different time.

      Delete
  3. Most people who read a lot DNF books all the time. Slogging through a so-so book takes such a long time, time that could be spent happily reading other books. Even though I agree with that, I personally have trouble DNF'ing books. I keep thinking it will get better, or maybe the ending will be amazing... a book has to be truly awful to make me stop reading it (and offhand I can't think of the last time that happened.) I know I could be reading more if I didn't read books I don't like, and I love that joyful feeling of zipping through a great book. You'll have to let us know if you start embracing the DNF philosophy, and how it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so WRONG! What if the book turns itself around in the last third and I never know?!?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?