before travel thoughts

aka anything & everything & nothing 

We are going on our first family vacation in FOUR YEARS tomorrow and I’ve spent the last week overwhelmed and over it - and, in a bit of a pit that this is how I am about something that’s meant to be fun, sigh. 

This is not the role modeling I want to do for Lil Momma! She and I have been on a number of “girls only” adventures the last few years which have only gotten more enjoyable as she’s gotten a bit older. Gone are the years where she would only eat fast food, Olive Garden, and Dunkin Donuts or fall apart 5-minutes into a museum or aquarium or walk. She’s all curiosity and up for new and different, which I love, love, love…

But, the difference with this trip is that it’s not her and I exploring a new city - we are staying with my guy’s sister and her fiancé * I’m the epitome of an only child without much extended family - my dream was to stay in a hotel and have a place to get away from everyone’s haha! We’ve stayed with her before and it’s all going to be fine; however, it all feels like a lot after these years of isolation. 

Will I be able to take a walk when I want/need to? Will there be reading breaks? Will everyone understand that I get hangry just like LM? What if the shower has hard water? What if I can’t sleep? What if LM can’t sleep? What if my guy gets the sniffles from the plane? Will it be like small talk but for 5 days?!?!

LM is out of her mind excited, which is amazing. My guy is, as well. We are even getting a date night and going on a walking ghost tour while his sister takes LM tent camping for a night. There’s also stores and all that, so if I forget something**, all is not lost, haha! We are going for that carry-on only vibe and packing light, which makes planning much easier***.

It’ll be what it’ll be and I’m sure we’ll return with memories and anecdotes and bickers and hopefully not too many souvenirs, haha! 

Are you an old pro at vacationing? Or a travel stress pro like me?

*I need to give him a name on this blog; “my guy” is weird, haha. So, he’ll be LUke (after his pandemic hyper-fixation around teaching himself the ukulele)

** the exception being my glasses (I wear contacts during the day), which I live in fear of forgetting 

*** my response to LM as her list of stuffies she wants to bring extends is “there’s honestly no room” which is so much better than “I don’t want to keep track of 5 ‘friends’ who you would fall apart about if we list/forgot anyone” haha! 

Comments

  1. It's weird to travel again, after so long of not travelling! So I do understand. I now will ONLY travel carryon, it's just so wonderful and freeing. Also, I hope you have just the best time! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel overwhelmed ahead of a vacation (even sometimes during it), especially if we're going to be staying with people. It always feels slightly awkward to me, even if I'm with people I love and feel comfortable around (and ditto; even though I can enjoy hosting family and friends, I always feel "off" when other people are in my space). All that to say: I GET IT!

    Also, I bet it will be great, and I think it helps to go into it with eyes wide open; generally, that way, I'm pleasantly surprised when things go more smoothly than I expect.

    Like Nicole, I hope you have a fabulous time :) !! And I love that LM is so excited; having kids engaged and happy about a trip is so helpful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a vacation stresser, too. Especially when I don't know what to expect in terms of lodging and alone time to decompress. I also stress extensively about the food, especially if we are going to be staying at someone's home.

    I hope that it all works out really well and you end up having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I have to leave my house for anything I am a stress pot. If I have to go on an actual vacation, I just can't deal with the loss of my routine. Sure, it's supposed to be fun, but is it ever really fun? This is why I rarely leave my house. Ha!

    I hope you have a great time, though! It's always better than the stress beforehand leads you to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would rather stay in a hotel than stay with people. But, I'm sure this will be fun, especially since "Luke" and LM are so excited about it. And you'll get to know Luke's sister and fiance really well, which I'm sure you'll appreciate in retrospect. I hope you end up having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hope you had a good time. I'm with you, though, being in someone's home (even my parents'!) is really hard for me. I'm out of my routine. I hate being out of my routine. :So I hope you had some time in your routine and enough fun to make up for the times when you couldn't be... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am calm until a week before vacation and then all of a sudden time speeds up and I become a stressed mess. LOL I hope it all worked out well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?