On screentime and challenges

Here’s the thing: You do a challenge in a wildly busy month where you plan to cut your screentime (aka your doomscrolling distraction) by a significant amount because you spend a significant amount of time on your smartphone.

 

What you expected

  • For it to be hard, of course. Distraction habits run deep and there’s a reason it’s so engrained in your life. 

  • But, also for it to be funny. I mean, it’s JUST A SCREEN. It’s almost farcical that a screen eats up so much time when there’s so much to be done. There has to be comedy in this – slapping my own hand when I reach for my phone, tossing it across the room when I realize I’m scrolling, meeting up in real life with long lost friends I’ve only been in a like/double tap/random comment status with for years…

  • Insert a wild montage of you getting all-the-things done with all this free time that you found…

 

Here’s what really happened

  • You figure out you use your phone when you’re nervous (parent pick up, extracurricular waiting rooms, in line at stores), but figuring that out doesn’t make it any easier not to. 

  • You realize that you use social media to space out and not to really connect with your people, which means you should just text or email your friends to make plans or catch up already!

  • You realize that you both have oh so much to do (declutter, clean, exercise, parent, partner, work) and nothing to do for yourself (besides scroll)

 

Here’s the thing (really): I’m in one of those transitional moments! My kid needs me differently, my caretaking duties have changed, my want of more of a life outside of work is growing – but, I also have no idea of what to do with myself if I am not parent / caretaker / daughter me. So, along with some better boundaries with my scrolling, I’m also going to use the next chunk of time to figure out what I’m into at this stage of life: What do I like to do? What do I want to try? What scares me (in a good way)? and begin to go at that.


So, that’s what happened with that! (Oof) Book reviews and more later this week!

Comments

  1. Good for you for undergoing the challenge and figuring it out! I put limitations on my scrolling, etc., and found I read a LOT more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I am just flying through books - I love it!

      Delete
  2. So many thoughts and feels about this. I did another screen-time purge a few months ago and it was great, but then I've eased back into "bad" habits again. I 100% use my phone as a distraction advice. It feels like a "brain" break from my other tasks, but it really sucks a lot of the joy and energy out of my time and transitions. Why is it is so hard and addictive (I know why - it's designed to be addictive, but still!!)?!

    So I'm really looking to following along with your journey on this and relate to so many things you're saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I feel silly that this is such a legitimate struggle for me. But, I think it is a great push to be more intentional with most of my time and then use distractions when distractions are really necessary - and not just when it's easier to be distracted, haha!

      Delete
  3. I feel like screen-time is constant struggle to "stay up to date" with people/things and not wasting time on it. I realize that checking emails/message twice a day would totally suffice, but it's hard to NOT check in between... haha... so it's good that you're consciously trying to work on that. When I do put the phone away, I - like Nicole - find that I read more and generally get things done around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so spot on! The need to stay caught up keeps me caught up - but, then I think about who I would want to be caught up with all the time vs. who I could probably catch up on here and there... and realize again and again that I should put the phone down and go get some things done haha!

      Delete
  4. Oooh these are fascinating results from your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wild how much of a mental game this was!

      Delete
  5. Interesting! It's like any "bad" habit- it's serving you in some way, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. So you have to get to the bottom of what you're getting out of the doomscrolling, and figure out how to replace it. We'll all be interested for updates on this experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I keep reminding myself that there are things I want to do in life - and dommscrolling is NOT going to get me closer to those things!!

      Delete
  6. This is so interesting to me. I have no issues staying off social media. I check IG once a day, and then Facebook every few months. (It just does not appeal...) But the news, and my email? Avid doom-checker here. And, worse - I multitask. I listen to the paper (great audio function that I love) while doing other things, like putting together a meal. I could listen to music. Or silence. (I love silence.) News it is, though. So I need to follow your example, and think about the WHY. Why do I do this? What could/should I do instead? I love the questions you are asking yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?