Blips from the weekend

 On Fridays, I work from home. The only video-on call I had was with my direct reports and boss, so I threw on a t-shirt and leggings and made the most minimal effort on controlling the curls – this was the morning after my tie-dye adventure, after all! Now, this is a casual, team catchup/all call, but everyone kept pausing after they said anything to ask me if I was ok…. I got more and more uncomfortable until I blurted out “why is everyone being weird?!?!?” Turns out, the t-shirt I grabbed had a picture of a marshmallow on fire walking with a smile; above the picture, it said, “BURNT OUT” and below it continued BUT OPTIMISTIC” – however; only the top showed on the Teams screen and everyone thought is was a cry for help, haha! I took it as a sign from the universe and ran away after that meeting to get a fancy coffee and my library holds…. 


Saturday, Lil Momma had the busiest day. Luke had to step in to run a softball tournament for a friend. (Yes, we quit softball weeks ago…) She worked in the Snack Shack all morning (“it’s my first job ever – I GOT PAID DOLLARS!”), we had a play date with some of our close friends and their kids in the afternoon where she trampolined her heart out and cuddled up to a golden retriever, and then we ended the night with her and I going out to dinner and then to see Legally Blonde the musical. Fun fact: I have never see Legally Blonde the movie. But this was the teen camp at her drama school, so I figured it would be fine (however, I thought that with Les Mis Jr. and she openly wept at that barricade…) She was yawning her face off but really enjoyed it – we found camp friends to sit with, it was a very pink and pop-ish show; however, there were a lot of jokes that I am glad went mostly over her head, as well as plot points that took a lot of explaining on the drive home, oof. Luke and I often have to talk through what is almost-10-years-old appropriate and what I may be over-protecting her from and what is in the middle (oh my stars, my kid turns 10 in a few days!) and I can only see more of those calibrating conversations happening now that she’s entrenched in being a tween…

 

On Sunday, LM and I had the only opportunity to pull together her birthday party that we would have. Wow, I kind of feel like Suzanne here! We have 10 8-10 year olds coming to our backyard Friday afternoon for 3 hours: hour 1 = crafts with LM being the demonstrator/helper/motivator; hour 2 = pizza and a yellow-cake-with-vanilla-frosting-and-chocolate “mosaic” decoration that I make AND cupcakes with no chocolate for kids-who-don’t-like-chocolate and ice cream for the kids-who-don’t-like-cake; hour 3 = dance party, fire pit, s’mores…. We set our budget and went to buy crafts and decorations. We were able to get bracelet-making supplies with the idea that the kids would each make 2 bracelets; one for themselves and one to put in a hat that they could then pick out a bracelet someone else made (very Taylor Swift ERAS tour-esque) and then canvas stars that we plan to put a sticker with the girls’ first initials in the center of so they can color the rest of the star and we peel off the sticker and their initial shows in white? It could work? She also chose tie-dye as her theme (of course!) and we were able to pick up a backdrop for the photo wall, tablecloth, and plates for short money at a dollar store. Overall, we are more prepared than I thought we would be, but still not as prepared as I’d like.

 

Any blips from your weekend? Ready for the week to be what it’s gonna be?

Comments

  1. I want that t-shirt! I can't think of major blips, but I did spray paint an old fire pit our neighbours gave us years ago. The first coat looked amazing, so I thought: Why not do a second coat. And then it came out splotchy. At which point I waited a few days, stewed about how it had gone from perfect to splotchy and tried a third time. Third time was NOT a charm, and it's even more splotchy and splotchy it will stay.

    Birthday parties STRESS ME OUT. If I never had to throw another birthday party again, I would be a happy Mama. I think I do a perfectly fine job, but I mostly grit my teeth through the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is the tale with me and DIY - I always take it one step too far. Also, I keep saying this will be LM's last legit birthday party and we will switch to doing birthday experiences with a friend next year; somehow, she is interpreting that as a party AND an experience, so we have some level-setting work to do once we survive this entry into double digits haha, sigh....

      Delete
  2. Hahaha that tee is fabulous!
    My older son was cast in the school production of Legally Blonde. He played the UPS guy, which is pretty hilarious. "Do you need my pencil" he'd walk around the house saying, causing huge eyerolls. Sadly, it was cancelled due to the pandemic. I wish it wasn't, I think it would have been so good.
    Good luck with the birthday party, it sounds like it will be a fun celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such a great part! I was cracking up and LM was just shocked by the UPS man's short shorts ("Mumma, his legs are so LONG") HAHAHA!

      Delete
  3. Haha, that t-shirt! Priceless. But I am kinda glad your coworkers were "alert" enough to notice the shirt and asked about your well-being. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'm a little behind here- I hope the party went well! From what you had planned, it sounds really fun.
    I love the story about the t-shirt (and I love the shirt.)
    Legally Blonde is currently my daughter's favorite movie (she's 14) and she loves the musical as well. Although we just saw Barbie and she loved that! I think Legally Blonde is still tops.
    I hope we get an update on how the party went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a party update next! I'm finally getting used to this school schedule (and, I've made the move to being a morning exerciser - I barely know who I am anymore HAHA)!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my goodness I have not thought about Legally Blonde in years! Good to know it's still going strong among the tweens and teens. :) Can't wait to read the report on the (very complicated) birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I completely missed it - I went in without a clue what it was about, haha! Hope Chicago was amazing, Anne!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?