recent reads

I wanted to share the rest of January’s reads! 


For those keeping score, I talk about my ratings approach here.


The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5 


10-word Review: magical and cute, perhaps twee? the literal curses were oof


POPSUGAR Reaching Challenge prompt #38: a cozy romance 



Dead Water by Ann Cleeves


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


10-word Review: heart-hurt Jimmy fumbling balanced by small-town political intrigue and surprises



Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


10-word Review: didn’t grab me at first, but then dragons and wow


POPSUGAR Reaching Challenge prompt #23: a book about dragons



The Long Call by Ann Cleeves


Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


10-word Review: Matthew and the mystery, trying for control in the mess 



Do you binge series or do you spread them out? I am deep into a couple of series, but with only a few left in each, so I am holding myseld to reading only 1 per month to make them last longer.

Comments

  1. If I were reading a series I really loved, I would probably do the same thing. I'm curious about the Ann Cleeves books- I'm going to look into them and see if I'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ann Cleeve's Shetland series that I've been reading is set in most north point of the UK, it's practically Scandinavian. The murder mysteries all tie into the lives of the different Islands and towns but feature a specific investigator and colleagues... I read Tana French's Murder Squad series and this seems to be another "flavor" of connected characters in a specific local/locales, but so much more quietly intense.

      Delete
  2. I'm a fantasy reader, so there are so many epic sagas! I'm currently reading Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey and it's almost 50 books long! I tend to binge trilogies/quartets in the world of Valdemar, but it's taking me YEARS to read all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who read Valdemar! There are just so many of them. I am always so impressed with the rate that Mercedes Lackey writes at and with such interconnectedness and depth.

      Delete
  3. I don't binge series, really. I like to spread them out or else I get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ann Cleeves books sound interesting - Scotland? I do not like Tana French, though, so maybe I should steer clear...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?