show time!

 Sometimes, it’s the week after a run of busy weeks that gets you…..

 

Lil Momma’s Show Recap

To recap the reason for the recap, Lil Momma was fighting a mighty case of the sads after New Year’s. Her musical theater school had an audition-only bonus show that rehearsed on the weekends that LM went back and forth about auditioning for. She finally decided to go for it and got in! (Only 20/60 kids got in and she was 1 of only 3 kids not on the competition team who did….)

 

Things got pretty hectic in the week or so before the show and with her other extracurriculars, LM had a run of 12 straight days without a break. Between dress and tech rehearsals for this production of Dear Edwina, her regularly scheduled dance classes 3x a week, and bonus dance for her competition duo, we were doing our best to focus on recovery at home (hydration, fueling, sleep). 

 

What’s Dear Edwina about?” you may be asking… Well, per Wikipedia: “Dear Edwina is a musical by Zina Goldrich (music) and Marcy Heisler (book and lyrics). A children's one-hour musical, it concerns a young girl who gives her neighborhood friends and family advice through singing in a musical show. It is set in the town of Paw Paw, Michigan (but also based on Deerfield, Illinois, where Marcy Heisler was born).”

 

Last weekend, they did the show FOUR TIMES! So, on Saturday, I dropped her off at 12 (the parking anxiety was so real that I just camped out in a spot outside vs. going home) and then went and saw the 1pm performance. THEY DID SO WELL! The show is super cute and they did a lot of audience interaction (a conga line, water guns spraying down the front row, confetti of all sizes and colors). LM got laughs on her little bits, too, 



We then flew home for an hour to refuel and redo her hair and then dropped her back off at 4 for the 5pm show. For that, the Mr. brought 2 of her friends and they went out to dinner after (which turned into a dance party at a Papa Ginos at 7pm). Needless to say, LM was WIPED when she got home.

 

Sunday, we did it all again! The only real change we made is that the Mr. dropped us off for the early show and WE STAYED STRAIGHT THROUGH. After the 1pm (the best of the run in my opinion!), LM hung with the cast and ate her lunch (another girl redid her braids – score!!) and I got over myself and chatted with the other parents. My girl was so happy – it just grabbed my heart! Then, they did the final show and everyone sobbed in the dressing room after. It all was so sweet and lovely. 

 

What happened next…

Obviously, LM had school on Monday (and 2 hours of dance class after school) and was on the struggle-bus. On Tuesday, she had a field trip to the Patriots Hall of Fame (football) and was exhausted when she got home from school. On Wednesday, she was sniffly and hoarse, but made it through 2 quizzes, an hour-long voice lesson, and her Matilda Jr. rehearsal. But, by Thursday, the cold had got her. She stayed home and was a miserable, sniffly, coughing mess. Luckily, she is feeling better today (and no school!) and we have the weekend to keep her on the mend.

 

What’s on deck…

Wildly, tomorrow night, the Mr. and I are heading out (us? Going out?!?!) to participate in a Murder Mystery game night with my group of pre-pandemic workout friends. It’s from a kit you buy; everyone gets sent a character sheet and costume ideas and then some sort of fun happens at the party and we try to figure out “who done it”! Finding a saloon woman outfit when I can’t even find work clothes was a trip, but I think I have something workable! I will report back next week (as long as LM’s germs don’t take me down and I miss it, haha sigh).

 

Have you ever been to a murder mystery party? I did MM dinner theater for a hot minute in my late teens but never one like this!

 

Comments

  1. Congrats to Lil Momma! And also to you and the Mr for staying sane through it all!

    The Murder Mystery Party sounds fun...well except for having to find the costume. I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Mr was not thrilled with costumes but made it work with a cowboy hat. I had to get a whole dress/outfit which is another story for another day, haha, sigh! But it was so fun!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a busy schedule! No wonder she's exhausted. You too! Congrats to her on a job well done.
    I haven't been to a murder mystery party in ages! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm exhausted just remembering it haha!

      Delete
  3. Yay! That sounds like a really fun show, and a really fun and exhausting weekend. I'm glad it went so well, and I'm glad LM was healthy until it was all over. Now she can stay home and rest!
    I've never been to a murder mystery party- but I love murder mysteries so it sounds really fun. You'll have to tell us ALL about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! I was weirdly nervous, but it ended up being a cool experience (and we got home in time to do LM's bed routine) (and mine, too, haha!)!

      Delete
  4. What a great experience for LM! But whew, that does sound very exhausting so no wonder she came down with a cold. That's a lot of hard work!

    We just did a murder mystery party with my book club and I really sucked at finding a good costume. But I was supposed to be a writer from the 1700s so finding clothes that fit that era was nearly impossible, since I didn't want to spend a ton of money lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you must be so proud of LM! I'm not surprised the cold got her. Poor kiddo. Hope that the long weekend and time at home - without something every hour - helped her recover. (And I hope you did not come down with it, too...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?