Currently in April

 ENJOYING / My boss told me to take off at noon today because of how busy this week has been, so I’m going to take her up on that and go for a walk in the woods before I pick Lil Momma up from school. Maybe I’ll get my elusive Cool Bloggers Walking Club picture?!?!

 

EATING / I had to go to a wake after work on Wednesday that dropped me into rush hour traffic and arriving home around 7pm. The idea of making food was not appealing at that point – and the Mr. was off picking up LM from Matilda Jr. rehearsal – so, I took advantage of the lack of witnesses and had frozen cookie dough for dinner. It was glorious! 

 

SAVORING / I’ve been doing this Beginner Runner program and I’m really enjoying that I don’t feel like I’m going to collapse after the workouts. It’s not that I’m not working hard or am not challenged, but in previous attempts over the last 15 years or so, I feel like I’ve pushed too hard to try and keep up and crashed and burned (or burned out) before I can see/feel any real progress. I’m finishing up Week 2 of this tomorrow and I feel confident I can get through the workout which is just the best, to be honest!

 

THINKING ABOUT / May and how busy it will be. Lil Momma has dance competitions the first 3 weekends (one which we might have to stay in a hotel for) and then we launch right into Recital June. I’m trying to both lower my personal success metrics AND think about what routines / rituals will ground me while I keep her rested and ready.

 

DRINKING / Knowing I’m allergic to whey protein, my friends often give me recs on “Lindsay-safe shakes” they find out in the wild. One of my mom group friends tried a non-dairy protein shake she found at Target from Owyn and immediately sent me a picture and review. I picked up the Cookies & Cream and Chocolate flavors the other day and was able to try the Cookies & Cream on my long commute home on Wed – and it was actually ok! I have a lot of weird texture issues and don’t always love off-the-shelf drinks, but this was pretty good and tasted weirdly like a light crushed up Oreo.




 

BAKING / Not much lately, sigh. My plan is to give my sourdough starter another try once we get through these dance comp weekends.

 

READING / I am almost at the end of the Ruth Galloway series and am a bit bereft about it. I’m actively trying to find something similar to dive into, but think I am being way too picky because I don’t want my time with Ruth to end, haha!

 

BUYING / I am awaiting some new workout tank tops that I am trying from Constantly Varied Gear and a few new t-shirts to carry me through dance and theatre momming over the next 2 months. Hopefully they fit.

 

WATCHING / We are still watching Taskmaster, both the new season (which I am meh on) and starting from the beginning and picking our 2 favorites from each group. The Mr. and I are still watching CSI: Miami even though I am pretty over it. I am hoping to check out Dead Boy Detectives on Netflix this weekend because I enjoy Neil Gaiman and that whole connected universe.

 

TRAVELING / Well, we just got back from Maine! Besides dance comps around Massachusetts and Rhode Island, we don’t have any other trips planned until August.

 

PARTICIPATING / I feel a bit like the opposite of this lately, which is oof. I’m trying to build in some regular time/reminders to reach out to my people, comment and connect, and get back into social groups (while understanding it’s ok for me to hibernate and hide when my brain is too full)…

 

LOOKING FORWARD TO / This work week being over!

 

Is your May looking to be mayhem or more chill?

Comments

  1. I like your boss! I also adore having Unsupervised Time as an adult at dinner time.

    I know the feeling of "uh I've been following the program but can I get through the next workout" so yay for the absence of that feeling. Which beginner running program is it?

    And finally YES YES YES IT'S OK TO HIBERNATE!!! Or another way to say it is that we all need time to check that we've put on our own oxygen masks first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the beginner runner plan through The Lyss Method (TLM); I had done some of their strength workouts in the fall and really liked them before I had to step away. She's a PhD in exercise science, super knowledgeable AND sassy. I really appreciate how it's easing me in and letting me build a base. I've bombed C25K and other programs because I do fine in the early weeks but when it ramps up faster, I just can't keep up and get discouraged.

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I've never heard of Ruth Galloway but I looked at her books and it sounds like something I would like. I trust your recs because I loved the Ann Cleeves books (read the first three of the Vera series and am saving the rest for those emergency situations where I have nothing to read.) I'll get the first Ruth Galloway from the library. I can recommend the Linda Castillo series (takes place in Amish country, the detective is a woman who grew up Amish but left that faith) - the first one is Sworn to Silence and I loved it. BUT IT IS GORY. Birchwood, who recommended it, said she skimmed over the gory parts but I read every last word, I couldn't help it. So- it may or may not be for you.
    You have got a lot coming up! I have a really busy week ahead- after school/evening events almost every day- so I'm doing some hibernating this weekend.
    I'm liking the sound of your running program! It sounds like a great one. You shouldn't be exhausted and dreading the workouts. Running should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay ha, once I got it straightened out that Elly Griffiths is the author and Ruth Galloway is the main character, I put a library hold on the first book!

      Delete
    2. Oh this tickled me, Jenny! I should have specified, haha! But, I really have enjoyed the series. I am trying to avoid reading the last 2, but it's hard now that I am so close.

      It is fun to be enjoying my runs (and not looking totally like a tomato face when they're over)! Here's to easing into a plan instead of sprinting into an injury, haha!

      Delete
  3. The new season of Taskmaster is pretty lackluster. It has season 6 vibes. Too many actors, not enough comedians on the panel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! It’s why John is running away with it. He really gets the lateral thinking.

      Delete
  4. Hey Lindsay! How was Maine?? I love that place and would love to move up there but T would not have it LOL He can't do the cold but I love the severe nature up there. He is from Ellsworth.
    May will be calm actually. It's my birthday month so I'm treating myself to a concert, a party with friends, and a spa package. Oh, and a new hallway console table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for an afternoon off (and a boss who tells you to do so!) and frozen cookie dough for dinner. Sometimes, being an adult ROCKS.

    May is looking to be a crazy month for me, but April was kind of quiet in some respects so I'm ready for something a bit more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?