pale lips and too sparkly lids

 A ways back, I talked about trying to leave the house looking more like a person and not like I’ve given up. This only became more critical as I started encountering more and more people on my in office days because of our requirements change; sigh, I miss the days of not worrying about running into a big up I haven’t seen since 2019 and just getting my 2pm emotional support Reese’s in peace. I’m still working on the clothes side of this (that’s going to be a process), but I did make some changes to my makeup that have been helping me feel better about myself when I’m out and about, be it at work or school pick up or extracurricular activities.

 

Am I no longer president of the Pale Lip Club?

At first, I tried using a lip oil by e.l.f. (in Berry Kiss); I’d slap some on in the parking garage once I parked my car (I drink my smoothie on the ride to work) and then maybe again after lunch. I like how it felt moisturizing and gave a bit of color, but it was almost too wet? Is that a thing?

 

I got influenced to try Kosas Wet Stick Moisturizing Shiny Sheer Lipstick (in Hot Beach) and it’s a great happy medium. My lips no longer look like I am a sickly Victorian child, but they aren’t garish or overly matte or dried out (all my nightmares with “real” lipstick. I’m so pale that I kind of feel like I look like a clown with most makeup.) Sometimes I add on the lip oil on top before a big meeting and sometimes I don’t remember to reapply at all, but the try is there!

 

Too sparkly to just enough

I have used a powder eyeshadow from Urban Decay for years (Freebird when I’m feeling purple and Half Baked when I’m going for a brown), but I recently had some problems with the powder irritating my contacts (a nightmare during a workday when I’m not near my lens solution or glasses). I began looking for a crème or liquid and accidentally bought super sparkly liquid eyeshadow from e.l.f. (Moon and Supernova) that was just ok – it was at once too sparkly but faded in color at the same time? I took one more chance and tried an e.l.f. no budge crème eyeshadow (Wildflower and Sand Dune) which I think are winners; just the right POP of color, long wearing, and no itchy eyes (so far)!



All in all, a couple of little changes are really racking up the impact and making me feel a bit better being in the real world. Now, if only I could find the perfect-length work pants as easily, haha!

 

 

We head off to Maine for 2 nights to finish out school vacation week! Hopefully I’ll be back next week with lighthouse pictures, stories of family adventures, and memories of good eats!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to hear about Maine. I've never been there but want to go. All of the lighthouse pictures please.

    Sadly I can't wear eye makeup due to sensitivity and lipstick is too drying and rubs off too quickly so I've learned to embrace the natural look. But I do love makeup and if I could I would wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's family is from Maine, so it is truly the only place I went on vacation for the first 27 years of my life, haha. It's so beautiful!

      I've spent a long time finding eye shadow and lipstick that don't give me hives (and have gone through no-makeup years, it seems). So far, the lip oil is working, but I know anything can change at any moment!

      Delete
  2. Oooh I like this makeup talk. I don't wear eye shadow myself, but I admire others who do. I'm an eyeliner and mascara type of gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had the hand stability to pull off eye liner - props to you, Nicole! I bet it's even my feared LIQUID eyeliner (which Lil Momma and I have tried to navigate - unsuccessfully - for dance competitions)!

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm eager to hear about your Maine trip since we are going in June!
    "2pm emotional support Reese’s" - made me LAUGH so hard! I know that feeling.
    I also have so much admiration for people who can figure out make-up. I don't wear any because make-up mystifies me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay for Maine in June - it will be beautiful! We just did the Portland area, but there's a ton to see and do.

      I have makeup drilled into my head as "looking put together"; it may be a consequence of growing up in the 80s and 90s and being deep into magazines, haha!

      Delete
  4. You wear one color of eyeshadow? That's an option?! Here I am using an entire palette and spending entire minutes of my morning blending. I obviously need to simplify.

    My boss keeps a candy bowl in our waiting area for students who might be hanging out there. She gets GOOD candy, too. I have taken to getting a morning pick-me-up Payday bar between 9:30-10:30 every morning. We have a student worker who watches this happen and I swear to you he's judging me harshly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed you use a palette and know how to blend! I just put a little color on my finger or brush, slap it on, and hope it doesn't look garish?

      Paydays are the Mr.'s favorite candy bar! And, that student will someday know the joy of a mid-morning candy bar. I spent the first 15 years of this corporate job having a Reese's for breakfast and it was JOYFUL!

      Delete
  5. What an entertaining post! I like wearing make up. My go-tos are: concealer, cream brush, eye liner and mascara. Lips: whatever I have at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to do concealer - I am so impressed! I think blending intimidates me, haha!

      Delete
  6. Great! Now can you come to my house and help me look like I haven't given up as well? Sigh... it's probably hopeless (obviously, I HAVE given up!)
    I hope you have a great vacation! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the "wet" look when it comes to lip color. It makes me feel like a tween wearing lip gloss, lol. I love a good matte lip stain that has staying power because it's annoying when the color wears off after just a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so afraid of matte color drying out and my lips looking PARCHED - which might be connected to my chronic dehydration challenges, sigh. *sips water*

      Delete
  8. I skip the eye shadow (I have hooded eyelids and it's hard to even see it LOL) and focus on a few other simple things: blush, mascara, and lip gloss. I do think it makes a difference to put in a little effort (esp. for your own self esteem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has made a difference in how I feel at work and in public. Same with wearing earrings and putting on a cardigan vs. an old hoodie, haha!

      Delete
  9. I am in the same boat as Jenny. I truly look like I have given up most days. I can't wear most makeup due to sensitive skin, and - despite multiple attempts - I never really figured out how to apply makeup in a way that actually makes me look better. I admire your efforts to look more "put together", and honestly wish that I a) had the money, and b) the drive (not sure what word to use here) to do the same. Go, you. Seriously. It's not easy changing these engrained habits. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

cast away

friday rambles

to chop or not to chop?